She's A Maniac

"This week, we will be attending Dance Expressions in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Now, let's start with the pyramid." Miss Abby reveals the bottom headshot, "We have Brooke. Not only did you forget the routine, but you talked to Rosa Parks. Why were you talking to Rosa Parks?"

"I was, like, oh, my gosh, I just messed up so bad, and she jumped on this thing." Brooke admits, "I wasn't really--"

"And she's like, 'What do I do, what do I do?'." Nia adds and the two of them laugh, along with Kelly.

"Kelly, you're laughing." Miss Abby says.

"Because she was funny." Kelly says.

"I don't think it was funny we could have lost." Miss Abby tells everyone, "Do you have any idea what happened up there?"

"She forgot." Kelly answers, "She's human. Just like every one of these kids have forgotten their dances on stage."

"So, I've come to the conclusion, that you need a break." Miss Abby announces, "I'm dismissing you today. Go ahead, you can go."

Brooke walks out of studio A.

"Is she not supposed to come away this weekend?" Kelly asks.

"She is not traveling with us." Miss Abby answers, "She is expected, however, to be in class."

Miss Abby reveals the next headshot.

"I have Mackenzie. You didn't dance." Miss Abby shrugs, "Tell me, how's the foot feeling now?"

"It's feeling better." Kenzie answers.

"Have you learned that if you stay off of it and rest it that it will heal?" Miss Abby asks, "So doing cartwheels isn't going to help you."

She reveals the next headshot.

"Melanie. I don't even know where to begin." Miss Abby says, "You were third overall, right after Kendall and Maddie, you were first on the division, so why are you in the bottom?"

Everyone looks at me and I shrug.

"It's your face. I told you this already once and I'm telling you again. You used to use your face in every single performance, and that's what made your dancing special, but it looks that ever since you got that team jacket, you just became lazy. You don't work hard, well, I don't even think you work at all. I don't want another Brooke on this team. Having the potential and leaving it to waste." Miss Abby tells me, "Now, you're just like any other dancer, you need to use that face, until then, I'm not gonna give you any more solos."

I bit my lip and Mommy looks at me upset.

Maddie

Paige   Chloe

Kendall   Nia   Melanie   Mackenzie   Brooke

"Maddie, I'm gonna change it up a little bit this week. I'm going to kind of, make you the leader. So, instead of a solo, you're gonna be doing a trio with Mackenzie and Melanie." We all look at each other, "The name of your trio is called 'Run from Mother'."

Chloe and Kendall have solos. Maddie, Kenzie, and I have a trio. Ziegler trio! The group dance was fun, and we had a guest choreographer this week, the group dance was entitled 'Gold Digga'. Miss Abby and Rachelle had a little disagreement, and it was about Kenzie and I being in the group dance.

One Day To Competition

"So we've got a plan?" Peter asks as Klara, Emma, him, and I had a little meeting in the Dancer's Den.

We all nod in response. Liam comes in with Summer and Tim and we all separate.

"What were you guys doing?" Tim asks.

"Nothing!" I answer, "I mean, why would you think that we're doing something? We're not doing any--" Emma nudges me, "Oh, Miss Abby's calling me, gotta go."

I rush to studio A quietly and sit on the bench while Kendall rehearses her solo with Miss Abby.

Competition Day

The three of us were going over the trio, and we were specifically at a part where I have to be on Maddie's back, like pass over it, it's hard to explain, but I knew one thing, I was absolutely terrified of hurting Mads.

"All right, girls, let's go." Miss Abby says and we all go backstage.

"All right, moving into the junior duo/trio division, we have Maddie, Mackenzie, and Melanie with 'Run from Mother'." The announcer says and we all go on stage.

Hey little girl
Where do you think you're going
You've been trying to prove yourself
A long, long time

Who are you now
With all those demons lurking
Getting this far has been
A long, long climb

She ran to the corner
To prove that she wasn't afraid
She crossed the street without looking
Over a bridge that led to downtown

She took a breath of city air
And she had herself a look around

And sometimes she started one way
And sometimes she started for another
But the thing she'd never understand
Why was she always running from mother?

Hey little girl
I know those ghosts that ride you
They're bound to catch you, baby,
In the end

In all your dreams
You suddenly grow wings
And at the last moment
You start to ascend

She ran to the corner
To prove that she wasn't afraid
She crossed the street without looking
Over a bridge that led to downtown

She took a breath of city air
And she had herself a look around

And sometimes she started one way
And sometimes she started for another
But the thing she'd never understand
Why was she always running from mother?

Questions remain that you may never answer
Untold secrets taken to her grave
Who do you fear most
Is it her or you

Twenty years later
You're still trying to be brave
Brave
Brave
Brave

~~~
Gold
Digga
D-I-G-G-A
Golddigga
(Gold)

You wade through muddy waters
You take a chance or two
(Buh be duh)
You keep lookin' over your shoulder
For a better view

I'll be honest, I was a disaster in that dance. My timing was always off, and generally, I think Miss Abby was right, and maybe I should have not been in the group, but now it's all up to the judges.

"All right, moving in to our junior division, where we will be giving out our top five awards for our soloists." The announcer says, "Third place, entry number 25, 'Easy As One, Two, Three'."

We all clap as Kendall goes receive her award.

"Second place, entry number 17, 'Diva'." The announcer says, "In first place, entry number 26, 'Black Heart'."

We all cheer and clap as Chloe goes receive her award.

"Moving into our junior duo/trio." The announcer says, "Second place, entry number 40B, 'Grace'."

Kenzie takes my hand.

"In first place, with a score of 294.5 points, entry number 41, 'Run from Mother'."

The three of us go receive the award.

Feels good to win!