Music and Wine

'What the hell do I wear for this.' Alice felt like crying. She was standing at the door of her cupboard, surrounded by outfits she had considered and swiftly dropped to the floor. Hayley and Fred sat on her bed watching her as she reached a level of anxiety she hadn't felt for a while.

'Alice, chill,' said Hayley as she got up from where she was sitting. She made her way over to the cupboard and looked through the options for a second. She then pulled out a plain black dress, knee length skater with long sleeves.

'This, tights, ankle boots and a cosy coat to walk there in. Stop overthinking it,'

'Right, great shout,' Alice looked relieved as she sat down on the end of her bed and flopped back next to Fred, covering her face with her hands and sighing - stressed out but excited about seeing Harry again.

'You are so into him - it's only been a week and you are smitten,' Hayley laughed.

'He does give me butterflies I will admit,' Alice giggled, 'I'm such an idiot,' she said, rubbing her hands over her face.

'You are not,' replied Hayley, hopping up onto the bed next to Alice and Fred. 'You ain't been with anyone for so long, plus - he is gorgeous. Trust you to end up working with such a hunk,'.

'Stooooop,' moaned Alice, 'Surely he just wants to hang out because of the work we need to do, I don't want to get carried away with these butterflies in case it's nothing,' she started to giggle along with Hayley. Fred started meowing as if to join in.

'I know Fred, she shouldn't be so nervous should she, he's invited her for dinner, using work as an excuse,' said Hayley, smiling over at Alice as she scooped Fred into her arms and talking to him as if he could reply. 'I think he's into our Alice,'.

Alice sat up on the bed, leaning her head on Hayleys shoulder, stroking Fred who happily sat in her best friend's arms.

'Alice stop worrying babe, he wants to hang out with you, he wouldn't have asked you round if he didn't - just go and enjoy the night. If nothing comes of it that's okay, let your hair down and see where this goes,' Hayley said, her wise words sinking into Alice's brain as she stared at the mess of clothes on the floor.

'You're right, you're always right,' she said, standing up and shuffling over to start throwing the clothes she wasn't going to wear back in her closet.

'Leave that just now, go get yourself dressed and I'll get us a drink, a little dutch courage is what you need,' Hayley said as she popped Fred onto the bed and bounced out of the room. 

*

Standing outside the house Harry had sent her the address for, Alice was almost hyperventilating. She was so nervous all of a sudden, why was she so nervous? She had gone with the outfit Hayley had suggested and had gladly taken the dutch courage she had handed to her just before she left. Alice could still taste the tequila on her lips now, but it had left a warm feeling in her belly.

Harry's cottage was quietly tucked away and quite possibly the most magical little house she had ever seen. She took a deep breath as she began to walk up the small path, ancient old trees towered over the cottage as if they were guardians, protecting it from any oncoming storms. Weathered stone steps and a perfectly painted white banister led up to the front door which was pale blue in color. A worn wreath hung from the door, remnants of flowers that hadn't survived the cold september nights. The numbers 704 hung above the door - reassuring her she was at the right house. It was beautiful she thought, as she took in all the tiny details, almost forgetting for a moment why she was there.

Stepping up to the door, standing herself on the welcome mat that had the words 'step inside' written on it - she knocked three times and adjusted her hair quickly before the door swung open.