Falling

Grabbing his bag from the boot of the car, Harry made his way over to the football pitch. The fresh Autumnal air was cold through his light jacket and shorts but he knew he would soon warm up. His ears were already cold and he regretted the hairband he had pushed into his hair to keep it off his face instead of bringing a hat. Even after living in Scotland for a year or so, the cold Scottish nights always caught him off guard.

Over on the pitch he could see Niall kicking a ball against a wall at the far side - his best friend who could cheer up anyone at any time with his bright cheery smile. They had known each other since high school, meeting on their very first day and had been inseparable ever since. Niall had moved from their town down in England up to Scotland for Uni and had decided to stay after falling in love with the calm and quiet country life. When Harry had decided he needed a fresh start, Niall had invited him up to stay with him for a while - stating that a little Scottish countryside could make anyone feel better and Harry had been here ever since.

'Hey mate,' Niall shouted when he spotted Harry crossing over the field. He started sprinting towards him and before Harry knew it Niall had wrapped his arms around his best mate and gave him the biggest hug.

'Hey,' Harry laughed, 'Missed me then?,'

'So much mate, you've been MIA for like three weeks,' replied Niall, finally letting Harry go, patting him roughly on the shoulder and turning to head back over to where he had left the football.

'I know, sorry man - it's been a busy time.' Harry said, picking his bag up and heading over to the side of the pitch before throwing the bag and himself down, rummaging around inside for his boots.

The week before starting his new job at the school Harry had been thinking of moving back down the road. No jobs had popped up recently, he was in a house that he wouldn't be able to afford much longer if he didn't get a job, and he was struggling to come to any other conclusion. He had kept himself hidden away, trying to come up with a game plan. Thank goodness the school had popped up the ad that night, he didn't want to leave this area and would have tried anything to be able to stay.

'How's the new job then?' asked Niall, picking the ball up under his arm and plonking himself down next to where Harry was sitting.

'Good - yeah, the first two weeks have gone pretty smoothly,' Harry began, lacing up his boots and casting his mind over the past couple of weeks and smiling to himself. 'My class are brilliant, loads of little characters to keep me on my toes,'

'I've heard it's a good school - couldn't have worked out better for you really,' Niall said, taking a sip from his water bottle.

'I know, good things come to those who wait eh,' Harry said, finishing lacing up his boots and standing up to stretch, reaching down to his toes before reaching high up into the sky.

'They certainly do,' Niall replied, standing up and stretching his arms above his head too. 'Cmon, let's have a kick about.'

As often as they could, Harry and Niall would meet up at the pitch after they both finished work. It was their favorite way of letting off steam, getting in some practice and being able to natter away to one another without anyone else around. They would always jog a couple of laps round the pitch to warm up before passing the ball between them, putting the world to rights and enjoying having the pitch all to themselves usually.

'Honestly man, some of the stories the kids write in the journals, I could make children's books out of them,' said Harry as he steadied his breathing, jogging next to Niall - his friend with the never ending energy.

'Maybe that's a future money maker for you,' laughed Niall, 'I'll do the drawings,'. Harry laughed out loud causing Niall to give him a sly punch in the arm for mocking him. He ran away before Harry could retaliate, 'I'm a stick man artist I'll have you know,' he shouted.