Mr Styles

Monday again, Alice hated Mondays.

Although she enjoyed working at the tiny primary school she herself went to, there was always something about a Monday morning that she just couldn't get used to. The early start after two days of not having to worry about an alarm, the thought process of what to wear and how to look, the conscious effort to be in a good mood and be happy for the new day - it was always a thought. Thankfully, this week was a long weekend for the kids and only the teachers and support workers had to go in today.

Prior to the long weekend it had been a stressful few weeks. The lovely Mrs Padmire who Alice had been pupil support assistant for for the last three years had decided to move on to another school at short notice and was leaving behind the position of primary two teacher of a fairly lively albeit lovely class.

Alice loved working in the school, she had loved being a pupil there when she was younger and when the opportunity came up to volunteer - she had jumped at the chance. It had come round at the perfect time once she had moved herself back home. Mrs Padmire had loved her presence in the class and thought she was so good with the kids that when a position became available, she had fully encouraged Alice to go for it. Alice didn't need any convincing. Three years later she still loved it here, even if she was nervous about the thought of working with somebody new.

Being content and comfortable with her surroundings was something Alice craved after a rough few years. She liked the steady day to day routine where big changes didn't happen often. Mrs Padmire leaving had made her nervous, anxious that this change will be more than she can cope with. A new person to work with and get used to, someone she will have to create a successful working relationship with - it was going to be a lot. She had no idea who the new teacher was going to be, it had all happened so suddenly that the job was only advertised last week and she wasn't even sure if the position had yet been filled. There was a huge chance that she may be working with supply teachers for the next little while which made her even more nervous.

Alice spent extra time this morning pulling the straighteners through her long dark hair and putting the finishing touches to her makeup. She decided on a navy blouse which the kids always loved as it had cats printed over it. She matched it with her black skinnies and threw on a pair of vans - dressed for work enough to meet the new teacher if they appeared but a bit more relaxed seen as the kids wouldn't be in today.

'You've got this Alice,' she said to herself , looking into the mirror that was propped up in the hallway by the front door. She pulled her coat over her shoulders, still chanting the words to herself under her breath as she wrapped a scarf around her neck. The September air was getting significantly colder by the day in Scotland and she wanted to be cozy on her stroll to work. She threw her bag over her shoulder and said goodbye to her little best friend, Fred. Fred was the loveliest ginger tabby cat with a heart of gold and eyes so bright he could cheer up even the saddest of humans, even when things seemed hopeless.

Alice felt nervous, more nervous now she was ready to leave. Hugging Fred in closer to her she smiled as his deep purrs floated through the hallway, 'Wish me luck boy.'

*

The school was always eerily quiet on days like today. Most teachers scurried about their classrooms getting organized and pupil support assistants like Alice were always doing the million and one jobs the teachers didn't have time to do. She arrived with no sign or word of a new teacher so decided to busy herself with jobs she knew had been needing done for a while.

Alice hid herself away upstairs in the large Art cupboard, now just a room used for storage of anything and everything - but she liked pottering in there as it looked out over the beautiful playground. The bonus of her little primary school was that it was out in the countryside, nothing surrounded it but fields and woods which made the views stunning from whichever window you looked out. Houses in the village were just out of view thanks to the trees so it left you feeling like you were in your own little world.