Chapter 47: Becoming the Creator's Chaperone

Kyon POV:

It's been around four days since Equus' disappearance, and I haven't left Sally's house. Of course, I've spent all my time with Estelle. Playing with her and actively putting Equus into the back of my mind. But whenever she goes to sleep, and I'm alone in his old bedroom, I can't help but think over everything. All the adventures and missions, the times I spent assisting him with his seasons and being there for him when Fall came around. It was hard to just go on and forget someone who had been instrumental in my life since before this whole space thing.

I mean yea, at first, I tried to kill him, lots of times, but when you continuously try to kill each other, you become somewhat close. Then there's the fact that he helped me make the right decision in the end, and yea, then the five years happened, and it was just hard to just up and forget someone like that.

But I still held onto hope about the whole 'I'll find a way to watch over you' thing. I don't know what he'll do, but whatever it is, I hope that we can at least contact him. Like really far away pen pals.

I got up from the bed after waking up. Rubbing my eyes, I stretched and began walking out of the room. Suddenly I was falling. I caught myself from hitting the floor entirely with my hands and rolled onto my back, cursing my clumsiness.

Then as I stood up, I saw a black mass where I tripped. Groaning, I stood up and walked over to the furball. I noticed it was a dog, a black mastiff, to be exact. It was average size, so not a hellhound. But what was it doing here? Did Sally adopt a dog? No, it would've had to be past midnight, and she wasn't awake then. I don't think this dog is supposed to be here.

Sighing, I pet its head, waking the animal up. It's head shot up, and a huge doggy grin took up its face. It stood up, knocking me over from my crouching position, and barked loudly as it ran in circles around me. It was too early for this.

I groaned again as I sat up and stumbled to my feet. The dog came to a stop in front of me, sitting down, its tail going crazy as it watched me. I patted its head and turned around, hoping that if I ignored it, the dog would be an illusion and go away. Unfortunately, that was not the case as the dog rubbed up against my leg as I walked out of the room into the hallway.

The mastiff began barking as we walked down the hall. Surprised, I tried to shush the animal, not wanting to wake up the whole apartment complex. The dog huffed as it quieted down.

Relieved, I entered the kitchen and grabbed some extra blue pancakes from yesterday. Munching on the cold patties, I watched the black dog across from me, watching with its head tilted.

Suddenly it began shaking its head in a circle, going one way before going the other way quickly. It was strange, and I was worried the dog wasn't ok when it suddenly stopped, appearing to let out a peculiar laughing bark. Then the dog walked up to me and sat down, staring endlessly at me. It was weird and oddly creepy. The mastiff just continued to watch me; it barely blinked.

"Ok, we're going to have to find where you belong because I don't think it's here. Do you have a collar? Or a tag? Microchip?" I asked the dog as I inspected its neck—no collar or tag. A microchip would require a shelter or vet, and that was a whole lot of work.

I sighed as I sat on the floor of the kitchen, pressing my back up against the fridge, thinking. Suddenly the dog huffed and walked over to a nearby plant that Sally had in the dining room. Seeing what the dog was doing, I rushed to stop the animal when it pushed the pot over, sending pottery pieces across the floor. The plant fell out of the dirt as it coated the floor.

"What the Hades?" I asked the dog; it ignored me and began sniffing around the dirt. I groaned as I started to pick up the pieces. Pounding footsteps came from the hall, and soon Sally was in the dining room.