11 | THE APPLICATION

I COULD STILL TASTE the fowl flavour of the past on my tongue, it loitered like an unwanted guest at a dinner party

I COULD STILL TASTE the fowl flavour of the past on my tongue, it loitered like an unwanted guest at a dinner party. It was awfully salty like the spiteful sample of a blood soaked tongue and yet no matter how much I spat I couldn't rid myself of the taste. But when I found my heart yearning for the taste of the metallic pungency, I realised that all that was left were memories, and some memories would never leave.

I could still smell the intoxicating fragrance of love, it lingered in the air like traces of perfume. It was the sweetest selection of flowers I had ever smelt, consuming me like a blanket of fresh air. I savoured every second, like my life depended on it. Oh how foolish it was of me for plucking the most ambrosial flower, forgetting that it's jagged thorns would prick my skin. No matter how pleasant the smell, it wasn't worth getting hurt.

I could still hear the deafening silence of sadness, it rang through my ears like an alarm. Ripping through my flesh like an arrow and bringing me stumbling to my knees, the sound of my own fear taunting me like a loud echo. I pleaded for peace, but my words couldn't make it past my brain let alone my tongue.

I could still feel the warmth of security, it rose up my neck like the stained hue of a blush, cheeks flushed and painted pale pink. Flames ignited in my chest, burning me from the inside out and killing the swarm of butterflies that had built a colony in my stomach. Smoke escaped my lungs as I suffocated in my own wild fire, the thick mist pressing on the walls of my neck as I coughed till my throat felt dry.

I could still see the sorrowful stare of heartbreak, engraved in my mind like the writing on a headstone. His eyes, ember flecks of gold floating on the deep blue waters of his iris's. So blue, that if I got to close I would drown. My mind wandered through the waves, and I felt my heart sink to the bottom. Tranquillity overcame me as I felt the life drain from my body. Every time I looked at him, I lost a part of me, after all, I'd do anything to fix the cracks in his eyes even when mine were breaking.

I could still:

Taste,

Smell,

Hear,

Feel,

and see him but I could never hold enough of him in my hands, for he was someone else's.