(14) Affront

You let your hand wander over the mattress to your left. You've been awake for about an hour but didn't open your eyes. Instead, you just laid there, listening to Spencer breathing. Now that he's stirring and seemingly starting to wake up, you slowly feel around for his hand.

When you don't find it, you open your eyes and turn your head to towards him. Even though Spencer is sleeping closer to you now, he's nevertheless making himself as small as possible. He is hugging himself, head buried deep in the cushion.

You think about if it's even appropriate to touch him right now. He's your friend, and it's already borderline weird that you continue to sleep in the same bed. Then again, you have a tendency to take drugs around each other.

Deciding against touching him, you carefully sit up and get the file out of your nightstand that's been stashed away there for almost two years now. Isaacs telling you that he is still working your case, makes you wonder if you should take a look at it again as well. Maybe, now that you have more distance to it, you can see things you could not deal with before.

However, you still cannot look at the photos of yourself and quickly shuffle them to the back of the file. You go over the interviews, the dates, the geographical markers...Nothing.

"What are you reading?" Spencer has a nice morning voice, but him suddenly speaking startles you nevertheless.

You clear your voice and turn your head. He's still laying on his side, but his body more open now. "My case file." You tell him quietly. After a pause, you add: "I haven't checked it out for a while and thought maybe I would notice something new."

Spencer props himself up on his elbow: "But you didn't?"

You shake your head. Sighing, you lean over and put the file back in the drawer.

"Mind if I shower first?" You change the subject.

Spencer gives you a smile and shakes his head.

- - - - - - - - - -

"Seriously, did you two move in together or something?" Morgan greets you.

Reid's cheeks flush. You simply answer calmly: "As we established before: we're in a gang now."

Morgan leans back in his chair and squints his eyes: "I've never seen Pretty Boy next to a woman for such a long period of time."

"Maybe you should get yourself a pair of glasses." Spencer snaps at him.

"Woah." Is all Morgan can answer.

You silently offer Spencer your fist and he bumps it with his.

"Byrne, Reid, my office!" Hotchner suddenly calls from behind you.

Spencer and you whip around and shoot each other an irritated look.

You walk up to him, Spencer shuffling behind you like a child that's about to get yelled at by a parent.

"Close the door." Hotchner orders.

You and Spencer stand still in the middle of his office. "Sir." You address Hotchner.

With his arms crossed in front of his chest, he tells you: "I'd like to remind you that even though it's not explicitly forbidden, I do not condone intimate relationships between my Agents."

Spencer stares at Hotchner and then on the floor.

"What?" You ask with a loud voice.

"You heard me." Hotchner tells you with a stern look on his face.