(31) Sweet Nothings

Even though you and Spencer clarified your relationship to Isaacs, you still feel the jealousy radiating off of him. Nevertheless, you agree when Isaacs invites you and Spencer for drinks in the evening.

"To Emily." Isaacs toast and you tap his glass smiling, then Spencer's. It makes Spencer shift in his seat when you talk to Isaacs about your former work at the DEA.

Later, Cal asks: "Was Doyle right about you using?"

You choke on your drink and feel Spencer tense.

"Yes."

Cal leans back in his chair: "Since when?"

You shrug your shoulders: "A few weeks after I was released."

He sighs: "I didn't really notice. I explained your behavior with...you know. What happened."

Side-eying Spencer, you tell him: "Happens more often than you think."

"Don't you want to call Sagá?" Spencer changes the subject.

"Oh, yeah." You get out your phone.

Isaacs furrows his eyebrows.

"Her friend from Malmö." Spencer explains.

"Right." Isaacs nods.

You look at the time. Noticing, Spencer tells you: "It's midnight in Sweden."

The corners of Cal's mouth twitch when you dial the number. Spencer notices and furrows his eyebrows.

"Saga Norén, Länskrim Malmö."

"Hej, Saga. Det här är Emily Byrne."

Smiling, you report to her what you found out. Her answers are short, but you hear that she's relieved.

While you're eating, Cal tries his best to make conversation with Spencer as well. Slowly, Spencer warms up a little, but you see that he's uncomfortable. After dinner, you keep talking a little until Spencer puts his hand on your thigh and squeezes it. You grab his hand under the table and rub the back of it with your thumb. Understanding his plea, and being tired yourself, you declare: "We should get going."

Outside, you give Cal a quick hug and he kisses your cheek. Spencer deliberately takes a step back, so that he doesn't have to shake Cal's hand but can just wave at him. When you turn around, you smile at Spencer and put your arm around his waist. You want to start walking, but he doesn't move, he only puts his arm around you as well.

"What's going on with you?"

Spencer looks at his shoes.

Leaning closer into him, ignoring the sound of the traffic nearby, you tell him: "You know, I was unbelievably jealous about JJ until I found out that she's gay."

That makes him look at you: "You were?"

"To an unhealthy amount" You admit.

"Oh." His eyes dart over your face.

"Let's go home and talk there." You propose.

- - - - - - - - - -

At some point home has become synonymous for Spencer's couch.

He makes tea for you both and sits down next to you. After a few sips, you put your mug down and ask: "Are you jealous about Cal?"

Spencer nods.

"Why?"

"He's much older than me. I'm insecure about...the age gap. I feel..." He sighs.

You tilt your head and look him up and down. The locks on top of his head have become longer again and a few strands are hanging in front of his face. He puts his mug down as well and reluctantly looks at you.