28

Estephania
July 2nd

" can you please braid my hair" emery begged, walking out of the bathroom. She was wearing a black crop top with black jeans.

" excuse me, young lady, who got you that shirt?"

she grinned at me, trying to cover her tan glowing skin. " Liz," she smiled.

"oh god, I'm going to kill her," I pointed at emery with a playful glare. " you need to stop growing up; I can't handle it."

she laughed at me while handing me the brush and sitting in front of me. " don't be mad because you dress like an old lady."

"I do not," I gasped. Emery turns her head, looking at my body. I was wearing a light blue t-shirt with black jeans.

" if it helps you sleep at night, then sure."

" emery," I playfully hit her head, making her burst out in a fit of a giggle. " okay, enough making fun of me. You and Liz take me as a joke, now where do you wanna go?" I asked while braiding her long hair.

" um, can we eat first? and then surprises me. I have no idea what to do here."

" Alright, I don't know either" I shrugged my shoulder.

After emery and I finished getting ready, we looked up a place to eat. We both decided that after we eat we are going to the mall and I'm going to get emery a few things.

" do you think dad is going to change," emery asked me, taking a sip from her orange juice. I pressed my lips into a thin like shaking my head.

"I don't think so... when I was younger, dad told me the same thing, and he never changed" I swallowed a lump in my throat, looking away from her.

" he told me she was pretty; she has brown curly hair, brown eyes, and is tall" she smiled.

" do you know her name?" I asked, tapping my finger against the table.

"no, dad doesn't want me to meet her right now." she shrugged her shoulders, looking at her glass.

" Steph, I know I ask you this a lot, but why do you think mom is not coming back?"

I signed, pushing my hair back. " baby, it's been seven years, almost eight. She knows she has two daughters and a husband back at home. remember how I told you mom wasn't a good person?"

She nodded her head, playing with her fingers. " well, when you were born, I think you were only a few days old. mom left"

"I already know that," she mumbled.

"I know you do, but I never told you how...she caused a fire. We used to live in another house. It was a little bit bigger and prettier. But I was bothering her, and I kept asking her where she was going, and she ignored me. we had a big argument, and before she left, she spread liquor on the floor and lit it up while you and I were inside."

" was she planning on killing us?"

"I don't know what she was planning, but I knew I had to get you out, so I did. I got burnt a lot, and then dad blamed me for the fire, so my consequences were to heals my scars alone. when firefighters came to put out the fire, I was forced to say the fire happened because I was trying to cook."

" When you went outside, was a mom there?"

"no," I shook my head. " dad and I looked for her everywhere, but she was known were to be found."

Emery shook her head, looking down at the plate of food they placed in front of her. she looked up and whispered a quick 'thank you.'

" what if mom is dead?"