13. Shower Arguments

They are breakfast contently, with Hermione devouring the fruit and Fred making claim to all the bacon. Though he had to wash most of it down with a chug of tea, it was a rather good meal.

"You can continue to cook if,' Fred began, shifting to lay back on the pillows as Hermione set the tray on her nightstand. 'You don't burn yourself ever again." Fred finished, reaching over to grab her hand.

"No promises." Hermione teased, sitting cross legged beside Fred to face him.

Fred looked up from the circles he was drawing in Hermione's hand, and slowly reached a hand up to press his thumb to Hermione's neck. He settled his hand on her shoulder as he traced the bruise.

"Why do you keep doing that?" Hermione whispered, leaning forward to tug at the hem of Fred's shirt nervously.

"Trying to understand." Fred shrugged, he removed his hand but didn't take his eyes off the mark.

"Ron did it, I didn't want him to but I was so caught off guard that I.." Hermione trailed off, unsure as to what to say.

"What happened after I passed out?" Fred asked, taking his eyes off of Hermione's neck to glance out the window.

"Henry stopped by, because we had missed dinner up at the lodge. Once he found out what had happened, he kicked Ginny out. She wasn't very happy." Hermione laughed quietly, not quite meeting Fred's eyes.

"George took you to the infirmary, and Harry took Ron. I was put in a binding spell-" Hermione was cut off as Fred's neck nearly snapped to turn and face her.

"You were what?" Fred asked shocked, grabbing the closest hand to him he squeezed it gently.

"I was deemed deranged by Henry, because I admitted to punching Ron as well. Harry says I really need to stop hitting people." Hermione shrugged as Fred let out a laugh.

"I think it's kind of hot." Fred teased as Hermione's face turned beet red.

"Once Ron was cleared by a nurse, Harry took him back to the Burrow. Then George was only there for a little while longer. Henry says if you and I cause any more chaos' Hermione rolled her eyes at the word. 'He'd kick us both out." Hermione finished.

Fred nodded at her words, it seemed the only good thing that came out of the whole mess was that Ron was now gone.

And Hermione didn't follow him.

"Now we get to argue." Fred decided, turning her hand over to trace Hermione's knuckles.

"Do we have to?" Hermione whined, leaning forward towards Fred, but Fred pushed her back gently by the shoulder.

"Yes." Fred stated calmly, and Hermione quickly erased her pout to nod.

"Why did you leave with Ron in the first place?" Fred asked, and Hermione cringed at the hint of sadness in his tone.

"I just wanted to understand." Hermione whispered, watching Fred's fingers trace hers. "I wanted to know how he was able to hurt me so badly." Hermione said, and Fred nodded gently.

"And what did you find out?" Fred asked.

"That we had been hurting each other for a long time. I was never home, I was always at work and I never talked to him. He was lonely, and needed someone to give him something I couldn't." Hermione told him, looking up to catch Fred's eyes but they were pointed at the ceiling.

"Was this before or after he kissed you?" Fred asked, and Hermione's stomach coiled uncomfortably.

"After, when I pushed him off of me we said some mean things to each other." Hermione attempted to shrug it off, but Fred prodded deeper.