Chapter 13

Philip was done putting the tv onto the counter for the couple to watch. Philip felt Betsy staring at him. He found it very rude.  "you should be ashamed of yourself for messing with a girl half your age." Betsy said looking at him disgustingly. This caught Philip off guard he frowned. He walked towards Betsy who was leaning on the blue wall. He got close to Betsy's face. "You know if you weren't Mr. Hunter's bed wench I would have slapped you." Betsy's eyes widened she turned her head away. "Stay in your place." Philip looked at her and then walked away. Betsy was still looking away.

"Lately that boy has been outside a lot." Rubber said eating an apple and looking out the window. "Leave him alone he probably found a friend or something rubber," Ruby said. "A friend? That boy doesn't talk to no one I doubt he made a new friend." Rubber said taking another bite out of his apple.

Ada and Wesley fell on the green grass giggling. They just finished playing Superman. "That was fun!" Ada yelled happily. Wesley turned over and smiled at her. "Ada" Wesley called. "Yes, Wesley." She hummed closing her eyes. "Did you have any friends before me?" Wesley leaned on his hand for support. Ada opened her eyes and turned her head. "Yea I did." She said. "Who?" The blonde boy asked curiously. "I had a friend name Bahati." Ada looked up at the sky. "What is up with these names?!" Wesley exaggerated.

Ada turned to him and slightly smiled. "The names are African," Ada said. "African? Like Africa where the monkeys come from?" Wesley asked.

Ada frowned. "I guess but I saw monkeys from everywhere." Ada hummed. Wesley nodded.
"Anyways Bahati was one of my best friends we would always play and get scolded together. We would do chores together and eat together. People in my village thought we were sisters because we were always together." Ada smiled.
"Ada?" Ada frowned. "Yes, Wesley?"She grunted. "What's a village?" Wesley asked leaning in closer. Ada thought for a moment.

"A town but better," Ada said pridefully. "Really?!" Wesley smiled. "Yea." Wesley laid back down and imagined. "I wanna go to a village." He said in awe. Ada smiled big. "Back to my story, we were like sisters we even got sold together." Ada reminisce. "Sold?" Wesley asked. "Yea sold," Ada said getting annoyed. "Like some baseball or something?" Wesley looked confused he couldn't understand why Ada was sold. " after we were on the boat we met a boy name Tim." Ada blushed. Wesley caught sight of this and rolled his eyes. Girls he thought.

"Tim was sorta the white man's right-hand man I don't really remember the white man's name he just had a long beard." Ada pointed to her chin. "The three of us were besties me Bahati and Tim." She smiled. "But then." Ada looked down. "We were all sold together, when we got there it was something I didn't like ." Ada frowned. Wesley looked up at her. "They made us work in those fields right there and it was hot I was sweaty I never worked so damn hard in my life!" Ada stood up. "Massa's wife would scold me all the damn time! I was outside working hard while Bahati was inside." Ada stomped.

She became to pace back and forth. "I couldn't believe it, Wesley. Bahati began to look down upon me she was treating me differently!" Tears were now falling down Ada's cheeks. Wesley was just staring watching this all unfold.
"ADA!" Wesley screamed out. Ada jumped and turned to him. She calmed down and joined him down on the grass. "Sorry," she said with her head down. "It's fine," Wesley whispered.
"After that, I ran away," Ada said.
"Where did you go?" Wesley asked. "Not far." Was her answer. Ada stared off into space tears were forming in her eyes.

Wesley could clearly see this topic did not bring her joy. He regretted bringing it up.
"I should have killed Bahati when I had the chance." Ada turned with now anger in her eyes. This caught Wesley off guard. Wesley didn't say anything. "Well, you have me," Wesley said. Ada turned and smiled "yea I do have you Wesley hunter." Wesley then took the comic books and pointed to them. "We should finish," Wesley said. Ada nodded then laid down and moved closer and began learning.