Run boy run

"Sit."

I quickly pulled out my chair and started to eat. I looked down at my armrest to see a 'D' carved into it. I looked past Luther to scowl at Diego before turning back to my food. Suddenly Five stabbed his knife into the table.

"Number Five?"

"I have a question." Five sneered

"Knowledge is an Admirable goal but you know the rules, no talking at mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

"I want to time travel!" Five continued.

"No!" Dad said loudly, his voice echoed through the hall.

"But I'm ready!" Five stood up from his chair. "I've been practicing my spatial jumps just like you said."

He tensed up for a moment before appearing by Father's side. I looked back down at my food, this was not going to end well.

"See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared
with the unknowns of time travel." Father paused, looking up at Five. "One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

I shook my head at Five and continued to eat. We both knew that the math wasn't right yet, he was just getting impatient.

"Well, I don't get it." Five confessed.

"Hence the reason you're not ready"

Five looked over at me for help but I just shook my head and motioned for him to sit back down. He glared at me, continuing his debate with Father.

"Number Five!"

I looked up for my food to see Five walking out the room. My chair scraped the floor as I went to follow him.

"Number Eight. Sit." Father commanded.

I quickly sat back down and stared at my hands. Luther put a hand on my shoulder and nodded towards my food, telling me I should eat.

"He'll be back by dinner," Luther whispered.

———————————————————————

"I survived on scraps. Canned food, cockroaches, anything I can find." He looked up at Vanya and then leaned back in his chair. He chuckled a little bit, "You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life? Well, it's total bullshit."

I sighed and put my head in my hands. I couldn't imagine the same Five fighting over the last cookie with Klaus, surviving an apocalypse all alone.

"You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die. So we adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it."

"We?" I asked, confused

Five sighed, "You got anything stronger?"