Epilogue

☕︎☕︎☕︎

☕︎☕︎☕︎

When I thought about what hell would be like, I didn't think it'd be utter darkness and silence. It stays like that for a while. It's quiet. I think I'm moving, but I don't know since it's so dark. I even call out, but no one replies, not even an echo.

I don't remember much. I have distant memories or maybe they're just dreams that felt real. I can't really tell. Sometimes I wonder if Reese is even my name or if Reese was someone I knew, but don't quite recognize like a stranger I once walked by.

But I guess time keeps passing while I'm stuck in here because, after a while, I hear a distant rhythmic beeping. It's quite calming, something different. There are also voices in the distance of men and women using jargon I don't understand.

Then, I see it, a light.

Maybe I'm getting called to heaven.

I never thought I'd get to go there.

As the light gets brighter, my eyes open. My eyelids feel heavy closing on me against my will, but as I pull them open, I can put together the thick blue lines that divide each tile.

My body feels like it's the heaviest it's ever been as my lips part to take a deep breath against the strong enclosing of my ribs.

The beeping plays in the background and I turn my head looking at the contraption. The monitor shows a line graph which I'm assuming mimics the beat of my heart.

I feel a hand in mine and look down finding a familiar brunette lying asleep and my heart jumps in excitement altering the beeping.

Then I feel it, a sharp pain starting in my abdomen and travelling down to the ends of every nerve in my body; the air is blown out of my lungs.

My head falls back, chin up high as I try to bear the pain. With every breath I take, the suffering becomes intolerable and my body starts spasming. I hold onto King's hand like it is the only thing harbouring the pain away.

"Reese?" King's face comes into view. Our eyes bore into each other's and for just a second I'm numb to everything. The citrus scent emanating from his collar meets my nostrils and his warm breath fans my face as my breath hitches.

Through the same eyes that give me comfort, flash the last couple events of my life and those same eyes, rip the cure away.

My lips part as air rips a path through to my lungs just before a painstaking shriek echoes out.

It feels like my insides are burning, turning to ash the longer I breathe; the longer I stay alive. My eyes blur with tears and my grip tightens on his hand trying to anchor my pain as I thrash on the bed.