forty seven

• shawn •

Samantha and Bella drove away with Andrea, and I was left in the empty, dark parking lot with an aggressive Matthew.

"I really don't like you," Matthew spits at me as he holds me against my car. I winced at the harsh grip he had on my wrists. "You're a pussy."

I cringed at that word. I'm just a young church boy who doesn't use such fowl words like that.

"Where are your keys?"

"Why would I tell you?" I mumble against the window, my face being uncomfortably squished up against it.

"Maybe because you don't want to get shot?" he retorts and I feel a cold, solid surface press against the back of my neck. My throat gets tight and my stomach twists. Andrea hung out with these people nearly every single day. They could have murdered her at any time. She was around them when they were high, when they were intoxicated, and she could have gotten hurt at any time. That makes me sick to my stomach.

I nearly pee my pants as I say, "They're in my front pocket."

He chuckles. "This gun isn't even loaded, man." He tosses the gun to the ground and reaches over, sliding his hand into my front pocket and my cheeks flush at the awkward placement of his hand.

I use the fact that he's only holding me down with one hand as an advantage, and I kick backwards to kick him in the shin. All he does is flinch, and I think it was because he was surprised, not because it actually hurt. I stand there silently, regretting what I just did.

"Like I said, you're a pussy." he mutters, letting go of me and shoving me to the ground. I groan, rolling onto my side and I'm face to face with the gun he recently tossed on the ground.

I grab the gun and point it at him, sitting up and keeping my distance.

"I said it wasn't loaded," he reminds me, but his tone sounds off. He suddenly seems nervous, and I notice how he slowly inches back. "I need that back-"

My finger presses down onto the trigger and it all happens at once; the sound of a gunshot almost bursts my eardrums and a horrifying scream comes from Matthew. The sound of pure pain. My mouth is dropped open and my eyes are wide as I scramble over to him. The bullet barely hit him, it just nearly hit his side, but it was enough for me to gain enough power to tackle him.

After I have hold of my keys, I run around to the front seat as fast as I can. I start the car with shaky hands, and I don't hesitate before driving straight to Bella's house.

• andrea •

"Do you want some coffee?" Bella asks me as soon as we step foot into her apartment. "I know how much you love coffee."

I just stare at her, dumbfounded, squirming under Samantha's hold. I couldn't move and that was one of the things that frustrated me the most.

"No, I don't want any of your fucking coffee." I respond angrily. I feel as if I'm going insane. I need Shawn by my side; he makes me feel less crazy and more secure.

"Sister, please stop cursing so much. It's not you," Bella frowns, crossing her living room and telling Samantha to follow with me. I am guided down the dark hallway, the only thing I am able to move on my own are my feet.

Bella opens a door at the end of the hall and inside, I see pictures. Everywhere. About one-third of the pictures are of me. My mouth is hanging open in shock as Bella turns to me with a smile on her face and says, "Andrea, this is our family."

My eyes roam the walls, examining every single picture I can. "I-is that... my mom?" I whisper, my eyes glued to a picture of a woman that looks almost exactly like me, just older. The flowing long brown hair, the dark eyes, the plump lips, everything.

"Our mom." she corrects me. The fact that she keeps claiming that she's my sister is giving me a headache.

"We don't look anything alike." I tell her.

"I inherited more of Dad's traits." she retorts.

Samantha is just standing there doing her job, which is holding me in place so I can't escape.

If, by some chance, Bella is actually my sister, maybe this whole thing isn't as big as a deal as I thought. "What happened to them?" I ask, figuring I can take advantage of the situation.

"Mom died after giving birth to you," she explains and my throat goes dry, "and Dad committed suicide shortly after."

"So it's my fault." I whisper, my eyes already starting to fill with tears. I shake my head repeatedly until I'm able to get myself back together. "What is going on?!"

"I've been trying to get to you for years," she starts. "You see this girl right here?" she points to a picture and I look at it.

I nod, but at the same time my eyebrows are furrowed. When I glanced over that picture the first time, I thought it was me. Now that I look for a longer amount of time, I start to notice a few things different about the person in the picture.

"That's our other sister. She's your twin. She is a lot harder to get to than you were. But after this, we will find her and we'll be a family again."

"What?"

"You're coming with me." is all she says before someone starts to pound on the apartment door.

Okay, maybe this is actually as big as a deal as I thought. She basically just told me she is kidnapping me.

"Keep her here, I'm going to go see who's at the door." Bella informs Samantha and leaves, closing the door behind her. I hear her lock us in from the outside and I let out a sob.

Please be Shawn. I pray to myself as I begin to wait.

. . .

OKAY THAT PROB DIDNT MAKE ANY SENSE BUT I HAVE A REASON FOR THE WHOLE TITLE "SERENDIPITY" TO MAKE SENSE INTO THIS STORY BUT YOU PROBABLY WONT UNDERSTAND IT UNTIL THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS OK

so yeah i know this is unacceptable for me to take this long to update but i

ugh