chapter 11~the yule ball

it was the day of the yule ball. christmas day.

"happy christmas draco! lets see what mother and father have gotten us shall we?" i say to draco.

"happy christmas rachel! lets look!" he says.

"NO WAY!" i say. "IVE GOTTEN THE NEW BROOMSTICK MODEL!" i say to draco, ecstatically.

"ME TOO!" he says. we both have a love for christmas.

i've told mother how good of friends i am with harry, even though they are loyal death eaters, so she sends me 2 packages every year of 2 gifts to give to harry.

of course father doesn't know about this because if he did he would flip.

pansy and i spent the rest of the day getting ready for the yule ball. our dresses were both gorgeous.

^rachel's dress above^

george was wearing black robes so i decided to wear a beautiful light pink dress.

i let blaise walk pansy out first and they went to the great hall, then i let draco go pick up cosette, then finally i walked out of the common room and saw george waiting for me.

"wow" he says. he was speechless. just what i was hoping would happen.

"y-you look stunning darling" he says. i love it when he says darling, it's the cutest thing ever.

"thank you so much george. you don't look too bad yourself there." i say. he blushes.
"shall we go down?" he says. "i suppose so!" i reply.

we walk in and all eyes are on us. i didn't want to steal the show because i'm not a tri-wizard champion but i have to admit, it felt good having some attention after being in the shadows of my brother all these years.

"you look stunning!" emma says.

"thank you love! you look so gorgeous as well!" i reply.

"thank you so much! we have to dance together sometime during the ball" she says. "well of course! i mean, we are going with brothers aren't we?" i wink.

we both laugh but then get back to our dates. the tri-wizard champions come down the hall with their dates.

"wow, harry and ginny are a beautiful couple aren't they?" say to george.

"oh yes they are both very lucky people" george says.

after the champions danced with their dates, all of the other pairs went on the dance floor and slow danced together, including george and i.

it felt so beautiful being there in the moment. "i hope you do know you look very beautiful tonight. i mean, you always do. but the dress is perfect for you and your personality, showing you're not like your brother can be and that not all the slytherins are rude and mean." he says.

that made my heart melt to hear someone say i'm not like my brother.

i really do love george.

the fun music started to play and george, emma, fred and i all were together and danced so much.

i was having the time of my life! i saw ron and hermione dancing and i may not like them, but they are a beautiful couple.

slow music was starting to play again so george and i danced together again. gosh he was one of the most beautiful men i have ever seen.

"george, i-i really love you" i say to george.

i felt like i was going to faint. and puke. and die. i can't believe i just said that out loud in front of him.

"you know what forget i just said that" i say while running out of the great hall.

i am such a lunatic. how could i be so stupid? i told george i loved him, not liked him, loved him.

"rachel wait!" i hear george yell to me while i run away to the astronomy tower.

i was at the top of the astronomy tower, by myself. alone with my thoughts. why did i do this to myself? i can't believe i said that to him when he doesn't love me back.

"rachel..." i hear george say across the room.

"go away george, i don't want to be around you right n-"

"i love you. i've loved you since the first time you picked up your wand and believed me with the spell saying you can turn anything yellow. a silly little spell about turning anything yellow. i love you. and that night in detention with snape when you told me you loved me, i meant to say it. i meant to say it! and i've kicked myself everyday since then because i didn't say it. but i do. i love you. i've loved you since my second year, when i made you go to honeydukes and spend a bunch of sickles on candy with me and you said i get sick sometimes when i eat too much candy and i said 'come on, live a little.' and then i puked all over your shoes and you didn't even make me feel bad about it. you just said, um..." "don't worry i've been wanting to get rid of these shoes for a while." "yeah because you outgrew them. the thing is i never outgrew you. and i don't really know what happens tomorrow, or in two minutes when we walk out this room. all i know is...i want this feelings to keep going. because this whole experience...i'm just- i'm not ready for it to be over. for us to be, i mean. and if that means having to put on another show in front of the whole school, then fine. i don't want this to be just a secret romance. really, i want it to be the real thing. i mean, i think it is the real thing, i just... i want a chance to prove it. i do."

i loved him. so much.

"george, you know how in muggle musicals they sing for no reason?" i say. "yeah?" he says.

"sometimes it's easier to just kiss." i say. "yea?" he says. "yeah" "yeah!" we did it. we finally kissed. and a real kiss. not a five second kiss in spin the bottle, no. a real. fucking. kiss.

we kissed for about 15 seconds. "never in my life did i think i would be kissing you george weasley"

i say to george as we finish our kiss. "never did i think i would be kissing a malfoy."

we both started to laugh. "does this mean i get to be your boyfriend?" george asks.

"maybe" i say "well of course!" i say.

he kissed me another time. "shall we go back to the ball?" i ask.

"i believe we shall" he says back. "wait-was i that douchebag you were waiting for over the summer to tell you i liked you?" george asks.

i was really hoping he had forgotten about that.

"maybe" i say. "oh shi-"

authors words: YES FINALLY AM I RIGHT?! the speech credits all go to joshua bassett from high school musical: the musical: the series !!