buddy system

~Zak's POV~

After leaving Scarlett to bleed out and die, I return to the mansion. I rush upstairs to meet Clay and George. Clay sees me, I nod signaling that the deed is done. I act distressed, calling out George's name.

"George! George!" I call out, "Scarlett's gone! She ran out of the house and I can't find her!"

I get his attention. He tilts his head, confused. "Calm down Zak. Maybe she had to take care of her mom or something. She doesn't usually spend so much time out of her house. It's not your fault or anything."

Clay and I share snickers. I felt a little guilty by George's words. Little did he know, it was my fault. But there was all for a reason. Vincent wants Clay to be happy with George. Scarlett was in the way of that. So this was the right thing to do. I think.

It was a different feeling- murdering Scarlett. It felt off. It didn't feel like how it felt killing Schlatt, killing Darryl's parents. There was no rush of adrenaline. It was almost too easy. Maybe that's because this death has nothing to do with Darryl. Nonetheless, I got the job done.

———

Clay and I stayed over at George's overnight. After I told George that Scarlett ran off, he didn't seem too stressed at first. He just thought her mom called her to go back home. Later into the night however, he started getting more and more worried. He told us Scarlett wasn't responding to texts or calls. George decided it was best to call Scarlett's mom. George explained how Scarlett ran off and how he thought she was at home. Scarlett's mom explained how she wasn't, causing the both of them to worry.

It was pretty sick, but this was Clay's chance to get closer to George. By comforting him as his girlfriend went missing.

George stayed up all night, paranoid about the possibilities of what happened to Scarlett. Naturally, Clay stayed up all night as well. He was using his chance to get close with George. They stayed up, talking as I focused on other things. Clay obviously comforted him and kept George's mind off the situation by making corny jokes. This helped with the problem. By the end of the conversation, George's mind was finally put in peace. As if it was that easy to make him forget about Scarlett.

The next morning, Clay and I left in the same car together. Scarlett's body was in the trunk. We drove over to a nearby dump site where we hid the bag with the body in a tote box. The tote box was not recyclable so we hoped it would just get incinerated. We filled the box with bottles, rock, and other junk to cover up the bag and cover up the stench.

———

After New Years, on January 3rd, we returned to school. Of course, Scarlett's mom called about the disappearance of Scarlett, but the police decided to wait a few days before they declare her missing. She was officially reported as missing. Her mother made posters as well as created a search party for Scarlett. Clay and I pitied her but what was done was done.

Once returned to school, I was reunited with my boyfriend, Darryl. News of Scarlett's disappearance spread around the friend group, meaning Darryl knew of it too. We discussed it in computer science with Valerie.

"Did you hear? George's girlfriend went missing on New Years." Darryl gossiped.

"Mhm," I try to not look suspicious by purposely drawing attention to myself, something someone guilty wouldn't do, "I was there when it happened.  Clay, George, Scarlett, and I were at George's house. Clay and George went upstairs together and I went to the bathroom downstairs when she ran off."

Valerie sighed, combing her fingers through her hair straightening it out. "It's a shame. It's like there's someone on the loose, targeting high schoolers in the area."