05 | she's the unsolved mystery

Start from the beginning

So they both tend to ignore each other𑁋their talks and conversations becoming less frequent as time passed by, with the main exchange of dialogue being around the lines of something like "I'm going to bed now, goodnight" or a dreadful "Good morning" or just a simple "See you later" or lastly "Get your ass up from bed and get ready for school!". It occurred to her how close she used to be with her mother, but ever since she tried to open up to her, it just went downhill from there, and she immediately regretted it.

After changing into some appropriate pieces of clothing𑁋mainly revolving around black sweatpants and black long-sleeves shirt𑁋Hyejin yawns, opening the door to leave her bedroom and shutting it closed lazily. She reluctantly makes her way through the hallway of her home and towards the connected living room and kitchen, nonchalantly placing herself down at one of the seats of her dining table. She watches closely as her mother stirs a bowl in her hands before making her way towards the seat in front of Hyejin. For a moment, Hyejin thought that the bowl was her, but it was for her mother. She gets a close look of the food in the bowl, seeing that her mother had prepared herself a bowl of oatmeal.

So Hyejin just sighs once more, with her mother noticing but not bothering to pick her head up to look at her. Hyejin stands herself up, walking to the kitchen to search for any sort of food that she can eat before leaving for school. Usually, it would be her mother to drive her off to school since her parents would be strict of her driving. But sometimes, she would just walk herself to school. And most of the time, she would be late. 

Hyejin plops two pieces of bread into the toaster impatiently. She clicks her nails on the countertop as she could feel her heart race just from the lingering tension in the room, and the awkward string that bound her mother and her together. It was just pure silence in the room filled with uncomfortable tension, and it gave her goosebumps just from sensing it.

A loud ding of the toaster makes the girl jump in her spot. Hyejin just murmurs inaudibly to herself as she takes the toast out, placing it on a plate and quickly smoothing over a layer of avocado spread. She makes her way back towards the dining table, sitting back in front of her mother who continued to have her head down low and focused on the bowl of oatmeal, as if it was more interesting than her own daughter.

Hyejin can't even remember the last time she had an actual conversation with her mother.

"Are you going to say anything to me?" she suddenly finds herself asking out of impulsivity, which quickly shuts her up. 

Her mother glances up for a second before looking back down.

"I don't have anything to say right now, Hyejin-ah." the woman mutters lowly, but the response doesn't satisfy Hyejin at all. 

Hyejin takes a few of bites from her toast, giving her mother a couple of glares in her direction. "You do. You always do. You have plenty of things to say, but you choose not to say it. Why is that?" 

Her mother doesn't respond, as always, which makes Hyejin roll her eyes in annoyance. She hated the suspected rivalry she has with her mother. Although she knew that it was her own fault for making her relationship rocky with the woman, but if she can somehow fix it, a bit of communication would at least be helpful. 

"You rarely ask how I am these days. For all you know, I could have murdered someone and you wouldn't even know, because I can't tell you anything," Hyejin's tone of voice becomes louder, the irritation growing inside of her. She tries her best to prevent herself from blowing up. "I don't even know what to say to you anymore, or how to start a conversation. What the hell did I do?" 

Her mother stops in her place on the seat, resting the metal spoon against the rim of the bowl. 

"You know what you did."