1- Mira

Sometimes life hits you when you need a change. As if the universe decided enough is enough and knocks you off course – or in the head – so you have to stop and gather your bearings. Or sometimes you do the knocking yourself and have to face the consequences.

"I'm just getting another luggage cart, don't do anything stupid while I'm gone," is what one of her colleagues said to her before she proceeded to do the exact opposite of what she was asked.

But then again, this is Mira Banai. Mira Banai didn't like doing dumb things, it was like dumb things liked doing her. She was at work at The Grand Sapphire Hotel, which was – surprise, surprise – very grand indeed. Just a quick gander at the elaborate mahogany furnishings, shining suits of armour and hand sewn curtains told you that it had to be at one of the finest hotels in the country of Iolea. Mira, whilst having better stuff to do – like her job, always found herself thinking about more important things like physics, or more specifically, the science of a good aim.

Mira stared at the remaining luggage that was left from the first luggage cart and considered that some old-fashioned levitation would be a better – and a more exciting – way to transport them to the lobby. She didn't want to wait and do nothing.

Besides, she had watched an episode of Black Heron last night – the mightiest and most powerful superhero in Mira's opinion and she was dying to replicate the way Black Heron just flung things around. I mean, she made it look so easy so it should be easy, right?

Luckily, Mira was blessed with the ability of simple levitation and often tried not to get discouraged that that was pretty much all she could do (unlike Black Heron who could also teleport and shapeshift among other things). She liked to think that levitation was a talent of hers – though it really wasn't – and she wanted to see the look on her colleague's face when she moved the remaining luggage all by herself.

Mira closed her eyes and took a deep breath, while she braced herself. She knew manipulating her energie wasn't a strength of hers, but no one was watching right now so she couldn't start to get nervous. She just had to get the luggage to float, everything after that would be simple. She couldn't let this fail.

Mira pressed her fingers on her chest, feeling the soft thump of her heart and buried deep within it was her heart stone. On a normal day Mira's energie was only just visible to others around her, making you wonder whether she had any at all. The energie that pumped through her body was barely shone in her veins. Still, she channelled whatever energie she could muster to the tips of her fingers and then ran her hand over the bags, careful not to miss the small vanity case at the front. Once satisfied, she flicked her wrist in a practised manner and sharply, the luggage floated upwards. She grinned, as excitement exploded in her chest.

Mira watched the luggage tremble, typically responding to her building emotions, but she shook her head and steadied herself. She raised her hand and the luggage followed and she couldn't stop the smile that outstretched on her face. She took a deep breath, already regrettably feeling tired but she swung her arm and sent the luggage flying at the most ungodly speed.

Stupid, yes, but in that split second there was no one in the corridor so all she'd be getting later was a scolding. There was no way she could hide what she was doing away from her all-knowing superiors.

But it took longer than a split second for the luggage to travel to the end of the corridor and that meant trouble for the gentleman who suddenly barged into Mira's view.

She stretched out her palm in a panicked attempt to halt the luggage and it did... for the most part. Because obviously, the silly little vanity case in front had to greet the gentleman in a way you would never expect to be greeted at a 5-star hotel. Or any hotel in fact.