chapter twelve

-♕-

Chapter Twelve

Milana Fallaci

"Flowers were the emotions of the ground. From earth's heart, the feelings were expressed," Rue's voice rang out. "Roses were the handmaidens of love while violets, their linked sisters, were the tokens of faithfulness."

Lana's mother wrapped her arms around the young Milana as she read the book in her hands out loud. It was night and a snowstorm howled outside, but Milana was safe here in her mother's arms of warmth.

"For Shakespeare, however, violets were seen as the emblem of sorrow and death. The different meanings of each flower grounded the Earth," Rue read. "Each feeling was asserted when needed and that kept Mother Nature balanced and at peace."

The tap was on, water rushing out of it. Swish. Swoosh. Heavy droplets pattered against the sink and the cold bit the tip of her fingers. Goosebumps trickled up her arm and shivers from the numbing water ran through her.

Swish. Swoosh. Her hands gripped a plate and washed it underneath the tap. Doing the dishes, especially in the early afternoon, was not fun, but her father was not home and Milana had to keep the house clean.

She gazed outside the window—hues of green from the trees and blue from the lively sky painted today's picture. It was a lovely day. The sun was high and shining brightly upon the world. Life bustled outside and she watched the young children playing hopscotch in the street. A small smile curled on her lips, reminiscing her childhood; times when her father and mother walked her to the ice cream shop on a hot day, singing all the way there.

Mother. Her smile faded, and darkness consumed her again. Tears welled up in her eyes and the plate she was gripping, slipped out her hand, clattering against the sink with a Clink!

Rue was dead. Her life diminished months ago, leaving a grieving daughter and a numb husband.

Milana's heart quickened and thumped loud enough, she thought her chest would burst. Rue, Rue, Rue. Her mind chanted. Dead, dead, dead.

The walls around her shrunk, closing in on her and making the space tighter. She felt trapped. She couldn't take it anymore. She needed out; she needed to run free.

Milana dropped her things and rushed out of the door, emerging into the artwork of nature. Her chest heaved up and down; her hands trembling. She was getting anxious just thinking about her mother.

She began sprinting—running and running and running—with no clear destination. The only thing she knew was that she needed to get away from her past that haunted her home and caged her mind.

The brisk air slapped against her burning cheeks as tears spilled. Her throat clogged up and she pumped her legs faster, every footfall leaping her forward.

Her deadly thoughts wouldn't stop, nor would her anxiety. She couldn't get Rue out of her head. It was impossible. Usually, when Milana ran, she'd forget her past for a while, but not this time. The weight pressed against her shoulders and she could not lift it off. It was too much. This was too much.

Ping! Her phone buzzed, pulling her out of her trance and forcing her to halt. The thoughts nagging at her soul quieted.

Milana wiped off the sweat from her forehead and tears from her cheeks while reading the text sent by an unknown number. Puzzled over who it was, she proceeded to read the incoming texts from the unknown number.