Chapter 17

Claire sat in Defense Against the Dark Arts class, or rather, Dark Arts with her head down. Ever since Professor Dumbledore had passed away and Death Eaters had taken over the school, everything was different.

"You! Santos!" Amycus Carrow, the Dark Arts professor yelled. Asterio looked up carefully.

"We're practicing the Cruciatus Curse. I would like you to demonstrate it. Cast it on the Wood girl," Professor Carrow growled. Asterio gasped, opening his mouth to protest, but Claire grabbed his wrist under the desk, shaking her head.

"Just do it," she whispered. Asterio looked at her, disbelief on his face. He shouldn't have been surprised, though. Of course Claire would make him do it; if he didn't, he would be the one getting hurt. And Amycus Carrow was not one to show mercy.

Asterio's hands shook as he lifted his wand towards Claire slowly. Arabella watched from just a table away, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. Claire nodded at Asterio, closing her eyes.

"Cru-"

Asterio was cut off by the large, heavy door to the classroom opening. Everyone let out a breath of relief, thankful that they didn't have to watch yet another one of their classmates tortured. It had become quite normal over the school year, but it still hurt deeply.

"Professor Snape wants everyone in the Great Hall. Harry Potter has been sighted in Hogsmeade!" a third year student squeaked. The room erupted in the sounds of quiet whispers. Claire's eyes widened, her heart starting to beat at a rapid pace. Professor Carrow growled as the student disappeared from the doorway.

"Everyone! To the Great Hall!" he ordered. Everyone started to file out of the classroom eagerly. Arabella clutched Claire's hand as they slipped away from the crows of students, making their way to the Room of Requirement. They shared a hopeful look. Harry was everyone's beacon of hope. After he didn't return to Hogwarts at the start of the year, people were terrified, but the D.A knew better. Neville Longbottom, a seventh year in Gryffindor had stepped up, taking lots of punishment from the Carrows so he could protect other students. Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood also helped, restoring the D.A.

Claire and Arabella entered the Room of Requirement, being met with a sight they hadn't expected.

It was like time slowed as Claire's eyes set on her boyfriend, standing across the room, his striking green eyes finding hers. She immediately ran towards him, throwing her arms around his neck. Harry wrapped his arms around her waist, digging his face into her shoulder.

"Merlin, I missed you, Princess," he whispered. Claire let out a sob as she gripped him even tighter to her body. She pulled away from him, her hands going to the sides of his face. She ran her hands through his black hair, biting her lip to stop another sob from escaping her mouth. Harry smiled sadly at her as he ran his hands over her waist slowly.

___

Claire and Harry made their way into the Great Hall, their hands intertwined and their heads down.

"Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you at this time. It's come to my attention that earlier this evening, Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade. Now, should anyone, student or staff, attempt to aid Mr. Potter, they will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Furthermore, any person found to have knowledge of these events who fails to come forward, will be treated as equally guilty. Now then, if anyone here has any knowledge of Mr. Potter's movements this evening, I invite them to step forward. Now," Professor Snape drawled, walking dramatically through the lines of students.

Harry's fingers gave Claire's one last squeeze before he revealed himself to Snape. Everyone gasped as he stepped forward, a proud look on his face.

"It seems, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster," Harry stated. The doors to the Great Hall burst open as the members of the Order of the Phoenix filed in, their wands raised.

"And I'm afraid it's quite extensive," Harry continued. He turned back towards Snape angrily.

"How dare you stand where he stood! Tell them how it happened that night! Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who TRUSTED you, and killed him! Tell them!" he bellowed. Snape's face fell. He whipped out his wand, ready to fire a curse at Harry. The students gasped, but Professor McGonagall stepped in front of Harry protectively. She fired spell after spell at the greasy-haired Headmaster. He blocked every spell before taking off in a cloud of black dust.

"COWARD!" Professor McGonagall exclaimed. She turned back towards the students, who erupted into cheers as she lit all of the candles in the dim room. Claire grinned, taking Harry's hand once again.

Their joy was short lived as a snake-like voice filled everyone's ears. Multiple students screamed, clutching their ears.

"I know that many of you will want to fight. Some of you may even think that to fight is wise. But this is a folly. Give me Harry Potter. Do this, and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched. Give me Harry Potter, and you will be rewarded. You have one hour."

The snake-like whispering stopped, leaving a shocked silence among the Great Hall.

"What are you waiting for? Someone grab him!" Pansy Parkinson shrieked, pointing towards Harry. Claire stepped in front of Harry angrily, her wand pointed at Pansy. She growled, her eyes challenging the Slytherin girl to try something. D.A members and Order members joined Claire, surrounding Harry.

Suddenly, Filch ran into the room, clutching his cat, Mrs. Norris to his chest. "STUDENTS OUT OF BED! STUDENTS IN THE CORRIDOR!" he yelled. Professor McGonagall rolled her eyes, stepping forward.

"They are supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!"

Filch stopped yelling, looking slightly embarrassed. "Oh," he muttered.

"As it happens, Mr. Filch, your arrival is most opportune. If you would, I would like you, please, to lead Ms. Parkinson and the rest of Slytherin House from the Hall," Professor McGonagall ordered, stepping forward.

"Exactly where is it I will be leading them to, ma'am?" Filch asked.

"The dungeons will do."

The students (except for Slytherin House) erupted into cheers, making Claire chuckle slightly.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this chapter :)

Also, I would really appreciate it if you could check out my two most recent announcements (more specifically, the second to last one!) I need your opinions on it!

Stay cool, Anika<3