31 | IN WHICH SHE DISCOVERED HIDDEN TRUTHS

Start from the beginning

She glanced down and saw bindings on her arm.

'You broke a bone in your arm,' Lloyd explained. 'And cracked a couple of ribs.'

'Oh.' She swallowed. When she was able to get her eyes focused on Lloyd once more, something about his expression made her heart pound in fear.

He looked perfectly calm, perfectly stoic. But she saw some sort of pained emotion shuddering under the surface of his absolute composure.

'Am I. . .' She cleared her voice. 'Am I all right?'

'Yes. Broken bones and some bruises. The hit on the head was the most serious thing.'

Despite his words, she knew it wasn't that simple. Her hands started to shake under the blanket. 'Am I. . .am I disfigured or something?'

'No. You have some bruising and broken skin, but all of it will heal.' His mouth twisted slightly. 'Does it feel like you’re disfigured?'

'No, but something is wrong. Why do you look like I'm dying?'

Lloyd took a deep breath and exhaled it hoarsely. 'You've been unconscious since the accident. We assumed it was a severe concussion and you'd shortly become conscious again.' He swallowed so hard she could see it in his throat. 'You were unconscious for almost three days. That's a really long time for a concussion. I've been waiting for you to wake up.'

Malora took a deep shuddering breath, and closed her eyes. She could hardly recall anything before the accident. It felt strange to be in here without Titan by her side.

'How is Titan, Lloyd?' She asked softly. Her eyes remained shut.

He sighed. 'He's in the ICU, Mal. He's been unconscious, too. His family have been steadily trickling in and out of the hospital since the day he'd been admitted.'

Titan's family were so close yet so far away. Did they even know that she was in the car with their son when he had an accident?

It seems Lloyd could hear her thoughts because he said, 'none of them have stopped by to check on you, and when I tried to ask about how he was, I was told that his family asked them not to disclose information about him to anyone who isn't family.'

Of course, they would say that. The man was a billionaire, after all. It didn't make it hurt any less, though. She was Titan's dirty little secret, something that was so far from the pristine world he came from. She knew this, yet she went ahead to fall in love with him, and if memory served her right, what they had sad long dead by now.

'How did you find out that I was here?'

'Lorena is listed as your emergency contact, remember? She called me to check on you.'

'How's Louis?'

Lloyd shrugged. 'She refused to tell me anything about him. I thought it strange that she would be at a party when her son is fighting for his life at the hospital.'

Malora opened her eyes, now. This wasn't the first time that happened. There was something Lorena was keeping from her, and she intended to find out once she's discharged from the hospital.

'I was so worried, Mal,' Lloyd said. 'The doctors said you need a lot of rest.'

She had nothing to say to that, so Malora let herself be dragged into the dark arms of slumber once again, making up her mind to find out every information she could about Titan's health.

*

When she woke again, Malora found a nurse checking her IV bag. The nurse was a middle aged Caucasian woman with hair as dark as midnight. Lloyd was nowhere to be seen.