23 | IN WHICH SHE MADE A PROMISE

Start from the beginning

Titan's voice, perhaps still the part of him most familiar to her, slipped down her spine like an unexpected caress. 'Oh. . .It's you. Hi.'

'Did I wake you?'

'N-no. I was just—what time is it?'

'It's late. Nearly midnight, I'm afraid.'

Malora guessed she'd stopped expecting more than terse little texts so this was almost as startling as it was gratifying. 'Is everything okay?'

'Yes, of course.' He sounded slightly flustered. And then fell silent.

An intriguing possibility crept into Malora's mind. 'Is this. . .I mean. . .do you miss me?'

'Actually, I thought you might prefer to hear from me personally because I won't be able to see you tomorrow as I'd hoped. I have a conference call that will likely take most of my evening.'

'Oh.'

Guess he hadn't changed that much after all. Their time on the Island was just an illusion then. Still, at least he'd phoned instead of sending one of his heart-crushing little texts.

'In fact, the whole week is looking somewhat overwhelming, and I need to be in Paris on Wednesday. Can we do Friday?'

'Sure.'

'I'm truly sorry.' He sighed. 'I would much rather be with you.'

God save her from men who can't make up their minds about what he wanted. All these hot and cold was driving Malora up the wall. Slowly

'And what if, by the time Friday rolls round, there's something else you absolutely have to do?'

'Kitten, I'm the owner and CEO of a multinational corporation. There will be times when I have to work, but I give you my word that I'll be here on Friday comehell, high-water, or the simultaneous collapse of the dollar, the yen, and the euro.'

Malora muttered balefully.

'What was that?'

'Calling me Kitten. It's cheating.'

'I won't if you don't want me to.'

'No, I do.' Fuck. She couldn't start an argument now. It couldn't be her first contribution to our newly, and strange relationship. And, besides, this was who Titan was. There was no point agreeing to bang a billionaire if you took issue with them, y'know, being a billionaire. 'Friday's fine. And if the entire global economy implodes I won't mind if you can't make it.'

Somehow Malora knew he was smiling. And when he spoke, his voice was all silk and menace and mirth. 'I was thinking you could perhaps arrange for sushi?'

Well. That was definitely promising. 'And what will you bring?'

'My tie.'

Malora made an undignified, gleeful squeaking noise. And then flailed desperately after sexy. 'I look forward to it, Mr. Pitts.'

There was another silence. She was fully expecting him to wish her good night and hang up and she would have actually been okay with that since she'd had more of Titan these past few days than she would have thought possible Mystery Island. But instead he asked: 'How's your. . .how are you feeling?'

'I am good.' Malora smiled, even though he couldn't see it. 'And I'll probably be thinking about you later too.'

'Is that so?'

'Oh yes. I'll be thinking of you. . . very. . .hard. . .indeed.'

He laughed—uninhibited for once and joyous. 'Is this how you've spent your evening?'