Clocks Ticking

“Can I fuckin’ leave now?” Dez spat at the nurse as she ignored him walking out of his room.

He had been trying to leave since they bandaged him up, but he wasn’t discharged. He didn’t understand, he was only grazed by a bullet, got stitched in 5 minutes, but been waiting for a hour for his papers. He used his fist to rub his chest. His heart was hurting like worst case of heartburn.

The nurse returned with his papers. Snatching them from her quickly, he jogged down the hall to the front desk.
“Hey lady. I need to know which room Lokka Juan is in?” He tried to be cool as he put his blood soaked shirt back on his body.

The lady popped her gum typing away slowly on her computer testing his patience.

“BITCH! MOVE FASTER!” he yelled banging his hands on the counter.

She jumped typing as if her life depended, which at this point it might've been. Dez was ready to end anyone who tried him.

“Room 301. Take the elevator to the second floor. Walk across the bridge, and go up the set of steps to the right.”

Dez ran to elevator, pressing the button multiple times until the doors opened. He followed her direction jogging down the hall until he was outside her room. The curtains were closed so no one could see in but he knew this was it when he came face to face Carlos.  Marquan was sitting on the ledge outside the room with his head on his hands. Dez held back a laugh when he seen Avery, who sat across from them with a terrified look on his face. 

Carlos on the other hand had fire in his eyes as the vein in his forehead bulged from his tightened jaw.

Dez cleared his throat, “How is she?”

Everyone turned to look at him. Well, everyone except Avery who was fixed on a tile on the floor. Marquan let out a sigh of relief letting his head gently fall backwards onto the glass.

“You were suppose to watch her.” Carlos gritted through his teeth.

The tone of his voice made everyone cringe but today it didn’t work on Dez.

He stood his ground as he poked his tongue on his cheek, looking away, “They ambushed us, it was like we were followed. I did all I could.” Dez knew his punishment for his blatant defiance to bow down would come soon enough but he wouldnt go down without letting it be known he fought for Lokka.

Carlos stood up, his head cocked to the side as he looked Dez up and down. He wasn’t taking to all the bass Dez had in voice while addressing him, “You did all you could? I made you. I pay you. I keep a roof over your head, and your response to my daughter being in this hospital is that you did all that you could?” 

He leaned closer to Dez whispering in his ear, “If she doesn’t make, I will handle you myself. And it will be torturous. It will be so painful and slow that you will be begging me to kill you. You will be prayingg to every god you've every heard of, wishing that one of them will-"

The room door opened making everyone quickly look that way. A petite white nurse came out, making everyone rise to their feet awaiting an update.

His heart was thumping something vicious as he balled his fist up at his sides.

“How is she?” Carlos asking putting on a proper voice.

The nurse smiled softly, “She will be just fine. We removed the bullet, nothing major was hit and we stitched her up. She doesn’t remember much about after she was hit though.  But, She does keep demanding to see a person named Desmond, I believe. She refuses to see anyone, or take her pain medication until she sees him.”