T W E N T Y - F I V E

Start from the beginning

Still fascinated, I observed his striking face, and memorized every ridge and freckles across his cheekbones, wanting to caress those minute dots of freckles with my fingers. My hungry eyes fixed on his rosy mouth, drawn by lips that looked succulent and tempting enough to kiss.

Suddenly, my own lips felt dry and I snaked my tongue across, wetting them. He stared at that simple motion I did and I deduced he wanted to kiss me. And oddly enough I wanted him to. His handsome face came closer and closer to mine, tempting me to close that tiny space between us. I brought my head closer to his too, my heart thumping and some emotion I couldn't name pooling in my stomach. Just as our lips were about to meet, I sneezed.

Yes I sneezed. Shit! Way to kill the moment. Scrambling and my face turning beet red from chagrin and mortification, I jumped off him and swept the black gown off the bed.

"Jesus Christ. Shit, I'm so sorry for sneezing on you. I was uhh. . . nevermind. Can you please turn around? I want to put on my clothes," I said in a shaky voice, clutching the gown I held to my body and trying not to drown in a sea of embarrassment. Why on earth did I have to sneeze, just when he was about to kiss me! Darn it, I was a lost cause.

Jayden raked a hand through his riotous curls, still breathing hard and an unfocused look glazing his eyes. It took him some minutes before he became fully alert and if I hadn't known better I'd say he was aroused.

He began huskily, his sexy voice sending another bout of pleasurable twinges down my spine, "Yeah sure. Hell, Olayinka, I don't know what happened to me. I'm sorry---"

"No, don't apologize Jayden. Really, there's nothing to be sorry about and if there is, then I'm the one meant to apologize to you for my stupid behaviour," I declared firmly, my voice no longer shaky, knowing what was coming. And honestly, acting all embarrassed we'd nearly kissed wasn't going to get me anywhere.

He made as if to counter my statement, then sighing he turned his back like a gentleman and left me to my devices.

Awkward silence surrounded me. I turned my back too and dressed rapidly, absorbing what had happened a few minutes ago. I was confused. What was wrong with me? Was it possible I had feelings for Jayden but had buried it so deep down inside of me? No, it couldn't be.

Yes, it is girl. If not you wouldn't have wanted to kiss him, good mind whispered.

No, I refused to come to terms with it. Jayden was just my very good friend. There was no way I was attracted to him, after all I'd established the fact I liked Kian so it just wasn't possible I liked Jayden. And besides, I was on my period so it's probably all these hormones. Fuck hormones.

Finally dressed I tapped his back and he turned to me. I ignored his curious and slightly hurt face and piped up like nothing world shifting had happened,"You said Mom's waiting for us so let's get going."

I moved away from him, ready to go but he grabbed my forearm.

"Olayinka, aren't we going to talk about what happened a few moments ago?"

"No, Jayden let's just forget about it, okay? It wouldn't do us any good remembering. Forget I was almost naked and fell on you in my underwear." I faced the ground, immediately feeling very shy.

"Forget we almost . . ." My voice trailed off, my tongue being unable to say the word kissed.

Nevertheless, I continued, facing him squarely, "Nothing happened Jayden. Also, thank you for saving me from having a nasty fall. I'm grateful," I acknowledged, shuttering my facial expressions so he'd not see what a huge effort it had cost me to say that.

He gazed at me for a long time, searching my face for any hint of emotion that said otherwise. When he found none, he left my arm and pinched the bridge of his nose in resignation, no doubt wondering what was up with me. I was probably giving him scrambled signals, one minute hot, the next cold.