Save the Day: Chapter 18

It had stopped hailing, but it was still cloudy and drizzling. Selena pulled the hood of carriage down and we both seated ourselves inside. We bunched together like sardines in the front of the carriage along with Teal who was staring blankly at nothing and wrapped in white quilts. I placed both hands around her and said, ''It's alright Teal. He's gone, he's never coming back, and he can hurt any of us ever again.'' She did not respond, but I thought I had seen the left side of her mouth curl up in an into a slight smile, and that was good enough for me.

''Were finally free sister,'' said Selena who reached across me and squeezed Teal's knee. She then looked at me and said, ''Are you ready to save Sam?'' she asked.

''Yes, now ready the horses,'' I ordered.

It was too risky to take dirt path being that we were vulnerable women alone, unarmed an unoccupied by an escort. It was a tough ride on the horses and we had stopped several times to rest and dig the stones and splinters out the feet of the horses. We had changed our clothes and used some the water to make ourselves presentable along the way and ate bread that Selena had packed in the basket.

We rode in silence for most of the ride and the tensions rose as we grew closer to our destination. The ride was quite awkward and uncomfortable, and I'd felt a bit envious of Selena. She was beautiful, strong, and had a longer and possibly stronger relations with my future husband. What if Sam didn't want to marry me, once he laid eyes upon his old flame? What if he wanted her more than he wanted me? What if he was still in love with her? What if none of these questions mattered because he was already dead with his head split open on a table?'' I thought to myself. The thoughts terrified and tortured me. I was grateful for her rescue, but I honestly wanted her to disappear, now.

''I know this may awkward, but I want you know that I have no feelings nor want a relationship with Sam,'' she said looking at me.

''Yeah,'' I said dryly and not believing her.

''I had planned for divorce months in advance and had no intentions of returning to the mansion that night Sam and I got into an argument,'' she admitted.

She took a deep breath and continued, ''I was very unhappy and had several affairs while married to Sam- including Grant. I finally gained the courage to walk out, but little did I know Grant had been obsessing over me. He seized the opportunity to take me for hostage when I was alone in the middle of night making my way into town to spend the night at one of my lover's house,'' she said.

''How did he get you?'' I asked.

''He hit me over the hit with a rock and kept me chained in the in the cellar underneath the basement for all those years. When he found out Teal was my sister, he used her to get to you with bribery. Teal did not know Grant was keeping me hostage. He only told her he knew where I was and that he would bring her to me for favor here and there,'' she said reaching across me once more to playfully nudge Teals face.

''That day you found us in the barn, Teal and I escaped. He managed to find us and came chasing after us. I escaped but Teal did not, and I have no idea what happened to her after that. I could have ran away and escaped all of this, but I could not leave my sister behind nor could I let Grant take the freedom of your life, as he did with mine,'' she said sighing and finishing her story.

''I'm sorry... I'm sorry that this has happened to you. I am the up-most thankful for you choosing to save the both of us and risking your own chance at freedom and happiness,'' I said as I grabbed her hand and squeezed.

She wiped a few stray tears from her eyes and smiled at me and said, ''It feels so much better to do the right thing.''