The Grave Mistake: Chapter 7

Aunt Karen, Teal, and Lasette returned to their new cabins after dinner, and Sam's family were escorted home shortly after. I found myself back in the all-white room staring at myself in the mirror reminiscing about the strange events that took place that night and seemed to consume my entire brain. Something was definitely off about Grant but he seemed so nice and polite. I just couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew he was not to be trusted anymore.

A male voice distracted me from my thoughts, and I turned around to see Grant standing in the hallway with a glass of water. He was still dressed and his uniform and cleared his throat to gain my attention.

''Water?'' he asked in a polite voice. My throat tightened and I froze. I suddenly felt uneasy by the unwelcome presence of Grant and I bashfully shook my head yes. He handed me the water and I nervously took a big gulp finding it difficult to swallow.

''You don't believe that I killed Selena, do you?'' he asked. Margarita is just an old hag that went crazy after she lost her daughter.''

Margarita never mentioned Grant killed Selena, she did say Grant was not to be trusted. What the hell is he talking about?, I thought to myself.

''What are talking about?'' I asked him with a confused look on my face. ''Margarita only mentioned you were not to be trusted and how'd you know what we were talking about?'' I asked him.

''Silly me, must be the wine to have caused me to hear things and the herbs seem to be taking a toll on my imagination'' he said, purposefully ignoring my question.

I started to feel light-headed and I nervously took another gulp of the remaining water in my glass. Why is he lying. He is neither drunk from wine nor smells herbs, I thought to myself.

Suddenly the room went lopsided and felt as if I was in a drunken state. I grabbed onto a nearby wooden chair to help balance myself and slammed the glass of water on the desk. It took a few moments before I realized I had been drugged by Grant. ''What did you put in the water?'' I struggled to ask as the room started to go dark and I began to lose consciousness.

''You must have had too much wine at dinner and now you're a wreck. Let me help you into bed'' Grant insisted as he grabbed my arm.

''No don't touch me!'' I yelled.

''Quiet down. You are drunk'' Grant scolded me and reached for my arm once more. I attempted to pull away from him, but I collapsed to the floor and everything went dark.

I awakened by the bright and hot sun and a warm body lying next to me under the thick covers. My heart started to pound as I came to the realization I was still in a nightmare as I looked at Grant laying sound asleep next to me.

Small flashbacks from last night crept into my mind and filled my mind with horrid images. The last thing I could remember was trying to escape the grasp of Grant and the fight of a lethal substance. I couldn't remember everything but the liquid oozing down my legs and the stench on my body revealed the truth of the matter. Sweat beaded on my forehead and dripped off my neck. Sheer panic crept into my soul. I looked around the room frantically and spotted a knife on the floor next to the bed. I quickly grabbed it and held it close to my chest sitting upwards against the bed board. I knew what I had to do and I impulsively hovered the knife over Grants sleeping body. Do it, do it!, I encouraged myself.

I swung the knife down towards his chest but it was too late. He strong armed the knife from my hand and it tumbled to the ground. He shifted his weight on top of me and confined both my arms to the bed. ''Are you crazy! What are doing?'' Grant asked with a confused look on his face.