Selena: Chapter 4

I awoken to the bright sun blinding me from the large windows above the bed. The sunlight gave me a better view of Sam's room contrast to last night. I peered around the large room for Sam, but he was nowhere to be found. I felt relieved because I still had no answer for his proposal and I knew it would take me some time to sort it all out in my head. There was a breakfast tray and note on the edge of the bed and I quickly reached for it. The breakfast tray contained strawberries, bread, and orange juice. I decided I should read the note first before I ate my breakfast.

Dear Blue Eyes,

I am needed for my services at an orphanage for sick children. The request came abruptly this morning and I didn't want to wake you from your sleep. I will be gone for a week, and I will expect an answer as soon as I get back. My horsemen will take you back to your father's plantation around noon. Until then explore, and don't get into too much trouble.

With All My Love,

Prince Samuel West.

I attempted to eat all my breakfast but left a few strawberries and a slice of bread on the tray. There was a white dress, heels, and sun hat laid out for me to wear, displayed neatly in a chair against the wall. I quickly cleaned myself up and decided to do the usual and let my wild hair roam untamed and free. I had no one to impress being Sam was not present. I slipped on the dress that snugged my body, which was a little too small and touched my ankles. There was a tag attached to the dress that read Selena and I thought it was a little strange. However, I simply pulled off the tag and threw it in the nearby disposal.

I had never worn heels as elegant as the ones on I had on my feet, but I manage to gracefully waltz down the staircase and find my way safely outside. I explored the entire mansion with Sam yesterday and decided to investigate the outside of the estate. The sun was beaming but thankfully the ridiculously large hat on my head shielded my head from the exuberant sun. It was still morning and I had several hours to kill and decided to stroll around the gated estate. It was warm outside but not too hot and the ideal perfect weather.

The estate was beautiful and every inch was covered in bright green grass, except for the labor areas. A beautiful assortment of colorful flowers outlined the long white pavement that led up to the large white mansion. The happy and hardworking slaves greeted me as I walked around the guarded and gated enclosure for hours admiring and savoring every minute of my short-lived freedom. My glass slippers would soon disappear, fand I would return to being a slave within a matter of hours.

I pondered over to a closed off and unkempt area that was enclosed by a tall wooden gate. There was a sign that read, Do Not Enter. There were no guards near the fence and the slaves seemed to be preoccupied with their work. I quietly unhinged the lock of the wooden gate, slipped inside, and closed the door behind me. I was stunned to find a tombstone with fresh red roses laid out. The grey tombstone read Selena West. Beloved Daughter and Wife.

A shiver ran down my back as I came to the realization of the situation. The dress I wore belonged to her and she must have been Sam's previous wife. I suddenly felt overwhelmed and my mind filled with curiosity and excitement. I felt violated and I had to get her dress off me. I pushed open the wooden gate, locked it shut, and quickly walked towards the house as panic set into my soul.

The loud sound of something hitting against the earth startled me from my walk towards the house. I let a small scream escape my mouth and turned around to see Grant and a few other slaves axing wood. I quickly fixed my composure and pushed the deepest thoughts of my intuition in the back of my mind. My eyes were begging to release my frustration and fear but I denied their request. I wanted to make a good impression, but I was still shaken and unsettled. Grant was shirtless and wore a pair of black breeches. His muscles bulged and he had quite an impressive body and I knew the guilt of my attraction would haunt me. All the other workers stopped and stared at me as if I were an alien, but I was just like them.