🔥 𝑴𝒂𝒌𝒂𝒓 𝑺𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒊 🔥

~ 🄹🄰🄽🅄🄰🅁🅈 14, 2021 ~

Namaste, Vanakam, Sat sri akal, Assalam Alaykum.

Wishing that the rising sun and harvesting crops of Makar Sankranti, Lohri, Pongal and what not, fills your life with bright and happy moments.

Makar Sankranti or Maghi or simply Sankranthi, is a festival day in the Hindu calendar, dedicated to the deity Surya (sun). It is observed each year in the lunar month of Magha which corresponds with the month of January as per the Gregorian calendar and is a day the people of India and Nepal celebrate their harvest. It marks the first day of the sun's transit into Makara rashi (Capricorn), marking the end of the month with the winter solstice and the start of longer days.

A shared cultural practice found amongst various parts of India is making sticky, bound sweets particularly from sesame (til) and a sugar base such as jaggery (gur). This type of sweet is a symbolism for being together in peace and joyfulness, despite the uniqueness and differences between individuals.

For most parts of India, this period is a part of early stages of the Rabi crop and agricultural cycle, where crops have been sown and the hard work in the fields is mostly over. The time thus signifies a period of socializing and families enjoying each other's company, taking care of the cattle, and celebrating around bonfires, and by flying kites.

"Unity in Diversity"
This is what we all have always been taught since our childhood, and this very slogan forms the basis of India.

To celebrate this festival, which has numerous names all around the country, we bring before you the way it is celebrated in different ways in different parts of our India.

|SOUTH INDIA|

∆ THAI PONGAL: "Tamil Nadu"

It is a four-day festival in Tamil Nadu:
~Day 1: Bhogi Pandigai : The first day of festival is Bhogi. It is celebrated on the last day of Margazhi by throwing away and destroying old clothes and materials, by setting them on fire, marking the end of the old and the emergence of the new. The 'neem' leaves are kept along the walls and roof of the houses. This is to eliminate evil forces.

~Day 2: Thai Pongal : The second day of festival is Thai Pongal or simply Pongal, celebrating the first day of the Tamil month Thai which starts with the solar cycle when sun starts moving towards the summer solstice (uttarayana). It is celebrated by boiling rice with fresh milk and jaggery in new pots, which are later topped with brown sugar, cashew nuts and raisins early in the morning and allowing it to boil over the vessel. This tradition gives Pongal its name. The moment the rice boils over and bubbles out of the vessel, the tradition is to shout "பொங்கலோ பொங்கல் (Ponggalo Ponggal)!" and blow the sangu (a conch), a custom practised to announce it was going to be a year blessed with good tidings.