Chapter 19

After a complete day of hiding away in his room, the next day, Taehyung finally decided to see the sun again.

When he opened his door and got out, the bright light stung his eyes for a few seconds but after the few seconds were over, his eyes adapted to it and he walked into the courtyard where Shao Lan was sitting and reading something.

"You know how to read?" Taehyung asked with a bit of shock that he didn't display on his face.

He already knew that this man could read and write but it still came as a shock to him and made him look at Shao Lan with suspicion.

There weren't really any personal attendants who were literate since literacy was for the rich and education made you aware of how wrong you were treated.

Some households were humble enough to let their attendants learn basic words but not everyone was that kind. If their servants learned to read and write, would they still want to work as a servant? Would they not see how many opportunities were opened up for them and be tempted away?

Shao Lan hadn't noticed the arrival of the young man so when he heard Taehyung's voice, his body jolted up and he immediately hid the book away and sat on top of it.

There was no way that Taehyung didn't see this but even if he saw it, didn't mean that he was going to call the man out.

There was always a time to do certain things and right now Taehyung just didn't want to bother doing anything.

He had only come here for a breath of fresh air and to clean out his thoughts. He wasn't looking for trouble or to uncover trouble.

On the courtyard was an old tree that still bore fruits, yet since it was winter, there was no fruit seen on it but even in winters with no fruit, it looked as beautiful as ever due to the soft pink coloured flowers that covered it like leaves. It was winter and the snow that hung on it had already melted away. Under the tree was a stone table that was a bit damp but Taehyung didn't seem to care as he lied down on it.

For some reason, he really liked this seat. If you lied down here, you could see the sun peeking out at you from in between the flowers and it was somehow really calming. There was a small pond encircling the huge sakura tree and inside this pond were fishes and water lilies. 

This was indeed a really soothing and calming place but Taehyung would never want to sleep here cause if he did, he was sure that he would toss and turn, resulting to him waking up while drowning in the pond.

"I learned it... Just a bit." Shao Lan answered but although it wasn't exactly true, it wasn't exactly a lie either.

Taehyung side eyed the man as he lay on the damp seat, looking up at the sun that was visible through the branches filled with pink blossoms.

Shao Lan thought the young man would question him further but a minute of silence passed and he sighed in relief as he understood that Taehyung wasn't looking to continue the conversation.

Shao Lan seemed to want to ask something but before the words could roll out of his tongue, he gulped it back down as he heard the young man speaking up.

"Say. I have a question," Taehyung spoke with a blank face, "Let's say that you gifted someone something. Maybe a hairpin or something like that."

"Young master, I'm poor. I will never waste money like that." Shao Lan cut in between as he answered honestly while rubbing his neck.

"..." Taehyung looked at the man and contemplated on whether to kill him or not, "Imagine. Okay? Just imagine that you did."

"But I can't imagine that, young master. I don't have money so I don't know what that is like."