~

The blonde jumped awake. It took him several minutes to register his surroundings before remembering he was no longer running away from Japan but rather in it. He took a long and calming breath as an air of serenity fell upon him as he basked in the dawn glowing sun. His eyes slowly adjusted to the bright light as he was greeted with the sleeping face of Deku right beside him. The pillow wall construction Katsuki had attempted to create the night prior had firstly collapsed and secondly not fulfilled its job correctly as it was in pieces all over the bed. On top of that Katsuki found that if anything it had brought them closer together, not further apart.

Izuku had managed to survive a night not plagued with nightmares, and when Katsuki thought about he had experienced the same. So it made little sense to have had found their legs tangled together under the sheets. If the gesture wasn't embarrassing enough, Izuku was close enough for Katsuki to feel him breathe. Disgusted, is what Katsuki would label what he thought he felt, the blonde attempted to move away without waking the other.

He seemed pretty peaceful. His cheek squashed into the pillow, eyes closed, lips parted, face soft and gentle. Katsuki had to admit that he seemed to look a lot more like when he was sixteen in the current moment. He looked so young, so innocent, so unaware of what they were getting themselves into when they signed up for this job. Katsuki wondered if Izuku had ever seen death before. The thought simply crossed his mind without hesitation but still he couldn't but ponder it. He wanted to know if Izuku had gone through similar things he did. If he could relate to the destruction of the battlefields. If he knew what it felt like to fail and see lives lost because of actions that were only his own.

"Hm..." The greenette sighed beside Bakugo, startling him slightly but also bringing him back down to reality. His eyes fluttered open and Katsuki froze, unsure of how he'd react to finding the other sleeping next to him once again.

Last night he had been so exhausted after their attempt at training he had just collapsed into bed. Katsuki being the nice person he was, when no-one was looking usually, had to cover the shorter to stop him freezing in the night. And seeing as the bed was comfortable and walking a couple metres was far too much effort at three in the morning, Katsuki joined. He figured it would probably happen either way, if Izuku had another nightmare again.

Midoriya stifled a yawn as he stretched his limbs, Katsuki remaining frozen out of curiosity as he watched Izuku's faded emerald eyes scan over where the blonde was. He wondered just how much he could tell just by sensing him. Could he tell if Katsuki was awake now?

Izuku's gaze didn't waver, seemingly neither surprised nor shocked at the fact that Katsuki was in his bed. He cuddled closer to the sprawled blankets, prodding Katsuki gently to see if he was awake yet.

"Ouch," he frowned.

"Oh you are awake," Izuku acknowledged.

"Yeah doesn't mean you have to poke me."

"I couldn't tell if you were asleep..."

"Whatever dumbass," Katsuki exhaled, sitting up and discarding the sheets.

Izuku's eyes narrowed for a moment. "Did something happen?"

"No, why would you think that?"

"You sound a little...shaken," Izuku explained in a soft tone that made Katsuki sick because he knew the other was definitely pitying him.

He felt an angry retort build up in the back of his throat but before he could even attempt to formulate the words, an entirely different emotion washed over him. Suddenly he felt like he was living in the current moment he had just dreamed about – a scared, alone sixteen year old kid. Lost in the giant world. Still trying to find his place. Still trying to find out who he was.