Preface

This book has come into existence out of necessity to make sense of extreme distress that I had been experiencing in life. In fact, I was so troubled that in December of 2019, I tried to end my life. I felt like things were hopeless. 

Life had seemed extremely cruel and torturous. I had accomplished so much and overcome so many challenges only to see it all taken from me in just a two month period beginning in late July of 2000. The nightmare would last for the next few years up until 2006. 

I had overcome crippling shyness and social phobia, achieved success in my career, had the love of a girl. We were living as husband and wife and everything seemed perfect.

I wonder how to make sense of life when one is raised as a Christian with a belief that there is a God that works to bring about all good things. Why would that God show me such joy and success and then just when I had it all, just when I reached a point of contentment, it was all taken from me.  

The nightmare reached its climax at a time between October 1, 2004 and June 2006. It was at that time that I experienced profoundly disturbing victimization and injustice. I started with an idea that I would tell that story.

I was connected to some agencies associated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I was attending an open-mic poetry/music group which was one of the  therapy/support groups offered. David was the co-host of the group and he suggested that before I talk about the injustice that I experienced, I should tell some stories so that people will get to know me. Then they will care about what happens to me. 

David went on to suggest that I start the story with scenes from my life with my first wife. Indeed, I had in mind so much that I wanted to share with the world, so many stories that had been waiting to come out, that this made sense. The problem was that this particular book is much larger in scope than what might be found in a more focused memoir. 

This book is in the form of a series of stories or memoirs. Don't let the title fool you. This is not the full autobiography of Bruce Whealton but it's also not just one single memoir. 

I hope you will want to read all of my other books. If you prefer a more focused book or story, you might start with some of my other books and come back here to get a broader picture of my life.