chapter 1: history

this story uses feminine pronouns, but doesn't include any physical descriptions other than height for y/n (trying to be as inclusive as possible) enjoy! :)
—————————————————————————

After having known the 'dream team' and Alex, known more commonly as Quackity online, for several months, I was overwhelmed with excitement when they made plans to visit Karl and I in North Carolina.

I've been living with Karl for almost a year now. We're childhood friends and I've known him for as long as I can remember, so when I started college in North Carolina it made perfect sense to become roommates. Karl has become a major content creator in the last couple months through both his opportunities from Mr. Beast, and streaming Minecraft with his friends, who happened to also become my friends. I laugh as I reminisce about how we first met--

Just a few months ago, when Karl had started to become more popular amongst the MCYT community, I stumbled into his room giving him his laundry that he had left in the dryer, typical. "Karl ugh you left your laundry in the dryer again," I complained as I pushed the door open with my back while struggling to carry an overflowing laundry basket, "How many times have I told you--,".

"I'M STREAMING! I'M STREAMING!" Karl yells, flipping around to warn me. I stop in my tracks, shell-shocked. For long I had been able to stay out of Karl's streams; he'd asked me if I wanted to be featured, but I wasn't sure if I was ready to be showcased on the internet like that. I always admired Karl for how comfortable in streaming, but I don't think I'd have the confidence, so naturally, I panicked. "Sorry! I didn't know!" and I quickly set down the laundry basket by the door, and slammed it behind me, louder than I intended.

—Karl's POV———
Oh god. I turned back to face my setup and could already see the flood of confused messages and questions in the chat. How was I going to explain this to the viewers?

But, of course, I had more than the chat to worry about, which I realized as I heard an array of giggles spewing through my headphones-- I was on a voice call with some friends. More specifically, some of the biggest creators in the gaming community: GeorgeNotFound, Quackity, Sapnap, and Dream. Through the chuckles I heard George whisper, "Oh Karlllll," he dragged out, "Who was that?" I sigh.

"Alright, alright chat. Before y'all freak out I'll address it real quick. That was my roommate, her name is Y/N and she's one of my closest friends. I haven't really introduced her to anyone since she wasn't sure if she'd be comfortable on stream," I said in a rather serious tone, and then broke into laughter and added "But yes she most certainly just walked straight into my room during a stream,"

The call erupts with laughter simultaneously. "I feel bad she looked so scared," Dream chuckled and Sapnap chimes in, "Geez Karl you need to figure out how to do your own laundry." "I did! I just left it in the dryer by accident," I protested.

"OOHOOHOO, Karl doesn't know how to do his own laundry!," Quackity shouts, running with the bit. "Yes I do!," I whine, "Fine I'll get Y/N in here and she'll tell you herself!". "Oh no Sapnap" George giggles and Sapnap whines back, "Gogy-- wait Karl you're getting her?" Alex laughs, "Oooo this will be interesting."

—Y/N POV———
"I can't believe I did that," I mutter to myself while rubbing my forehead. It's just now hitting me that thousands of people just saw me completely embarrass myself. While looking like shit too, I think as I look down at my outfit choice for that evening: sweatpants, and an oversized light blue hoodie that I found laying around the house, not knowing where it came from.

But, only a few minutes after the scene, I receive a text from Karl.
k- now that they've all seen you anyway you wanna come hang out? i think the boys want to meet you :]
m- idkkk you're fine with it?
k- of course! c'mon it'll be so fun i promise
m- alright alright coming soon

I was overcome with nerves, but hearing Karl shout from his bedroom "LET'S GO SHE SAID YES" and then several "WE'RE POPPING OFF"s made me laugh and shook my nerves a little.

I didn't know much about karl's friends, other than quackity, who had already visited us, but I was curious to learn more about the famous 'dream team'. I knock on the door and overhear Karl hushing his friends, "Shush she's here! She's here! Come Innnn," he says in a sing-songy voice. I giggle and open the door.

—Karl's POV———
As Y/N walked into my room I grabbed a chair for her and scooted aside so she would fit in the frame. While doing this the boys were talking over each other through my headset, "AHHHH," George shouted in a high pitched voice and Quackity joined him, as he already knew Y/N well.

On the other hand, Dream and Sapnap were fairly quiet until Sapnap boldly whispered: "She's kinda cute Dreammm," receiving a scoff from me. "Oh shut up Sapnap," Dream responded, "Wait is she wearing--". It wasn't long before the call erupted in laughter and I cringed as I noticed the hoodie Y/N just happened to be wearing.

Light blue, several sizes too big on her, and with a panda design drawn in white-- she was wearing my hoodie, Sapnap's merch.

"Ok guys shut up for a second I'm disconnecting my headset," I roll my eyes. "Ok she can hear you guys now," I look over at Y/N, who seems a little nervous, and nod. She moves closer to the mic and softly says, "uhh hi?", Quackity is the first to respond and greets her loudly, "Y/N!!".

She laughs, "Hi Alex, or Quackity..?" she looks at me, "What do I say on stream?". I laugh, "Whatever doesn't matter; we like to call him Big Q though." Before she can respond Sapnap interrupts, "I love your hoodie Y/N."

"Thank you..?" she replies, cautiously and the call fills with laughter. She looks to me, cheeks slightly flushed from embarrassment and confusion, but I laugh and reassure her, "Y/N this is my hoodie." "Oh- oops! Sorry I just found it laying around the house... But why are you guys laughing?" she questions dramatically and through giggles she turns to the computer, and punches the nearest minecraft avatar, which happened to be Dream.

"Hey!" he exclaims and she continues hitting him, not noticing my hearts going down because of his armour. Through laughter he says, "Y/N! Stop you're gonna die!" to which she replies, "No you are!" As the hearts diminish quickly I try to stop her, reaching for the mouse, "Y/N—"
Karljacobs was killed trying to hurt Dream.

—Y/N POV———
"Y/N!" Karl yells and shoves me from the keyboard while I laugh with the others. Still cracking up, I catch my breath and stand up, "Ok, but seriously, what's the problem with this hoodie?" I ask and I hear a slight british accent answer me through giggles, "That's Sapnap's merch!" Oh. Crap... This is so embarrassing.

"Oh uh...sorry Sapnap," I say, clearly embarrassed, "I can take it off--" But he quickly interrupts, "No need, you look good in it," you could hear his smirk. I was a little surprised by his comment, but not offended and while Karl simply rolled his eyes I heard a scoff come through the voice call, "Oh pleaseee Sapnap," a raspy voice dragged on, "Karl you're giving him prime advertising by putting a cute girl in his merch,".

His tone was sarcastic and his compliment looked over by Karl and the others, but it makes me blush slightly. Karl just laughs and points out that he never gave us proper introductions. I agree and properly meet each person in the call. There's Alex, of course I knew him, George, who was easily distinguished by his British accent, Sapnap, and finally, Dream.

Dream had a mesmerizing voice. It was somewhat raspy and deep, yet calming and comforting, and shivers ran down my spine when he said my name, "It's nice to meet you, Y/N," the syllables rolling off his tongue.

Playing with them was loads of fun, and I quickly fell into the swing of banter with George and Sapnap, but as much as I tried to keep my cool with Dream, the small interactions I shared with him made my face heat up, and my hands shake. His voice was the epitome of attractiveness, and I hated it.

Since that night, my life had changed drastically, and I couldn't be more thankful. Through just one stream I had met some of the best people I'd ever known and now I would be able to finally meet my best friends. I springed up from my bed as I heard the announcement I'd been waiting for, "Y/N! You ready? Time to head to the airport!" Karl shouted from downstairs.

// author's note
hehe that's the first chapter I doubt anyone will actually see this, but hope you liked it! i randomly started writing this story for fun and got so invested that i spent a ton of time on it and thought I might as well post it.
if you did like it please consider voting!! it helps the story out a lot :)
word count: 1563