Chapter 11

Essence

"So, what happens when I slide this up?" I asked Amon as I played around with one of the gadgets on the soundboard. I was having a lot of fun in the studio and probably aggravating the hell out of Amon in the process, but I was curious about how all of this stuff worked.

"Hell nah." Amon said, sliding the gadget back down. I tried to hold my laugh in as he readjusted all the things that I messed with. I know he was tired of me touching stuff. "It's called a fader or a volume slider, it's used to increase and decrease the level of an audio signal. And this right here, that you're determined to keep fucking with, is a control knob that I use to etablish the quality of the sound."

"Did you or did you not offer to teach me what all this stuff does?" I asked, playfully. He was not about to sit here and make it seem like I was just fucking shit up, which I was, after he offered to teach me.

"I agreed to that, but I just need you to look and listen. You don't need to touch nothing."

He got up from his chair and walked over to the mini fridge that was in the corner of the room while I used the laptop to replay a track of mine. I now had a total of seven songs that I've recorded and I was in love with each one.

"Thanks." I said to Mon' as he placed a bottle of water in front of me. The other water, he kept for himself. "Okay, be honest. Out of all the songs I've recorded so far, which one is your favorite?"

"My favorite?" He said, thinking out loud. "Damn, that's tough. It'll probably be either It's Not You or Better Days."

Better Days was a song that I recorded a few days after I had my breakthrough in therapy and it reflected my new perspective on life. Regardless of the problems I have that stemmed from my past relationship, I knew that better days were coming. All of my songs shared a similar theme, they all had to do with being broken from a relationship and finding the strength to allow yourself to heal.

"I fuck with all your songs, but I like the message in It's Not You, and Better Days just got a dope ass sound. It sounds different from all the basic songs people putting out nowadays." He added.

I nodded my head, taking in his opinion as I sat back in my chair and turned the track up louder, letting it blast throughout the studio. I didn't have a favorite when it came to my music, whatever song I was currently working on was my favorite and I put my all into every one. I valued Mon's opinion though. There were several things I was iffy about when it came to recording my music, but I trusted his judgment and every song turned out great. As far as I was concerned, nobody was fucking with him with this audio engineering shit, he had an amazing ear for music and he's just a beast at what he does.

Just as it was getting to my favorite part of the song, Mon' lowered the volume, so he could answer his ringing phone. I used the laptop to pause the track because I didn't wanna miss the best part, then I would have to replay the whole thing.

"Wassup........he's here right now? Alright, you can send him back." He said to the person on the other end of the call. As soon as he got off the phone, I pressed play and turned the volume back up.

In the mist of turning up to my track, the door opened, but I was way too into my song to realize I now had a small audience. Amon got up from his chair and walked towards the door, making me look in that direction and I froze seeing one of the hottest rappers in the city, standing at the entrance. Jarvis Henderson, better known simply as Jarvi$, was an up and coming rapper whose name was making a lot of noise right now. I sat there stunned for a second before I snapped out of it and turned back towards the soundboard, turning the track down a bit. I watched as Amon showed him love and they shared words, while a friend of his stood nearby.