Chapter 35: The Battle for Gala

Start from the beginning

"Hear something?" Finn looked at the Wookie. "I can hardly hear myself in all this." 

But then he heard it. A sound Finn remembered all too well. It pounded through the earth below, reverberating up to Finn's legs. "Oh no," he breathed.

Chewie roared, pleased that his companion understood. 

Finn hastily looked to Jennica, who was standing over a dead trooper. "Jennica! We have to get to high ground!"

"What?" she exclaimed, unable to hear. 

Finn groaned and ran to her side. "We have to get out of here! Now!"

"Why?"

That's when the sound of a large explosion drew both of their attention behind Finn. Jennica's eyes widened, and Finn gulped. Less than a mile or so away, stood a massive three-legged machine. Finn recognized it from the sound, and from the constant First Order propaganda that announced the creation of this monstrosity. 

"What is that?" Jennica asked.

"An AT-D," Finn answered, his voice low. "An All-Terrain Destroyer." 

Taking inspiration from the Clone Wars and the Empire, the AT-D stood as large as an AT-AT. It's cockpit was round, allowing it to swivel around swiftly to shoot down any target with it's heavy laser cannons and proton cannons. It's three legs did not have the benefit of being armored, as the AT-D was designed primarily for speed and destruction. Rather, the AT-D was outfitted with a shield, causing any exterior attacks to be pointless. 

AT-D's were not to be messed with, Finn had learned that much from his time in the First Order. He didn't anticipate them actually being here. 

"We have to take it down," Jennica asserted.

Chewie roared in agreement. 

"I know," Finn mused, gazing at it. "The only way to perhaps destroy one is to take it down from inside that shield. It's practically impossible to do anything with their defenses."

"Okay...do you have a plan?" 

Finn whirled around to Jennica. "A plan?" His voice cracking at the words.

"Yeah!" she exclaimed, shooting down a trooper that was making his way towards her from behind. She didn't even turn. "You know this stuff better than anyone, big deal."

"Well...I-I don't know!" Finn muttered. "You're really putting me on the spot."

"Finn, we're in the middle of a battle! Think! Use that ex-stormtrooper brain of yours!" 

Finn gulped and looked by up at the AT-D. He watched as it swiveled it's head and fired at the ground, erupting screams and debris. Finn pursed his lips, his mind racing. "Okay," he declared. "Follow me."

He led the way off the field, a few nearby Galacian soldiers joining their ranks to help. 

"Stay with Rey, BB-8," Jennica ordered behind them. "We'll be back."

He heard the droid beep as he spared a glance back at Rey. He saw her lightsaber finally slash through Armory's vibrocleaver, igniting sparks that caused the armored man to stumble back. It was safe to say that she was handling the situation. Finn returned his attention to the task at hand. 

"So what's the plan?" Jennica asked from beside him, Zeelee right above her as always. A constant shadow.

"Uhh..." Finn glanced up at the AT-D. "You wouldn't happen to have some detonators, would ya?"

Chewie handed him two. 

As they all neared the AT-D, Finn slowed them down. Each step of the AT-D shook the earth so much, they had to.