+ twenty four.

My peaceful sleep is interrupted with the ringing of my phone. I look at my clock, realizing it's already 8:30 and I'm on the brink of being late to school. I look at the caller ID to see it's Kayla.

"Hello?" I answer, rubbing my tired eyes.

"Hey," Kayla answered. "you sound like you just woke up. Are you not in school?" She asks me and I sigh.

"Yes, I just woke up and no, I'm not in school."

"That makes two of us. Wanna skip school today and hang out? We have some catching up to do. A lot of catching up to do actually." Kayla chuckles through the phone.

"Yeah, I'll meet you at Dunkin' at 9:15."

"Okay sounds good, bye bitch."

"Bye slut." I hang up the phone. I stretch, releasing all the tenseness from within my exhausted body. I let out a yawn and get out of bed, plugging my phone into the charger by my bed. I open my curtains, squinting, but I figured I needed some light in here to wake me up. I throw on some cute sweatpant joggers and a cropped t-shirt. I check the weather, never knowing how the weather will be in New York, and I see it's only gonna be 40°F so I change my shirt and throw on a purple sherpa. "Why does it always gotta be so cold?" I sigh and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth, do my hair, and put some quick makeup on.

"Huh, must be they actually went to school today." I laugh to myself as I come out of my room to see the house empty. I grab a granola bar, my keys, and head out the door.

"So," Kayla smirks. "living with the twins huh?" I blush at her remark and I'm not quite sure why.

"Yes, I am actually. It's pretty nice so far. I have my own room and Grayson and Ethan share a bedroom." I sip on my coffee, enjoying the sweet taste.

"Sucks to be them. I could never share a room." Kayla takes the wrapper off of her straw.

"Hey, they offered to so hell yeah I'm gonna take that opportunity." I laugh.

"Anything interesting happen yet?" Kayla asks me. I kind of just froze, totally forgetting about what Grayson and I did just the night before. I don't know if I wanna tell her yet. I know she's my best friend but it may be too soon and I don't want her to think negatively of me.

"Just some little flirting here and there but that's it. Just give it time." I lie. Kayla raises an eyebrow at me like she knows I'm lying but just drops it. "Anyway, how've you been?" I ask her.

"I've been good, life has been kind of boring for me lately to be honest. Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something." She looks at me and I immediately get anxious.

"About what?" I ask.

"Your moms funeral." She sighs. "Do you have any info on that? Is there gonna be one? Has any distant family reached out?"

"Oh," I sit up. "I'm not sure if there's gonna be a funeral, I'm too young and irresponsible to be in charge of that, plus I don't want the pressure of putting together a whole funeral. My moms sister reached out to me, so did my grandma and I haven't heard from them in years. It was nice to hear from them, but a funeral wasn't really discussed."

"Really?" She looks at me.

"Well actually, my grandma mentioned something about cremating her and spreading her ashes at my grandma's house, as well as saving some for me."

"That would be cute." Kayla showed me a small smile. I smiled back and nodded in agreement. "Wanna come chill at my house? Both my parents are at work and you're in charge of your own schedule now, so." She laughed.

"Yeah let's go. I need some girl time. Living with two 18 year old boys can be... rough." I roll my eyes and open the door to head to the car.

+++

I was bored and figured why not write a little chapter? I'm not sure why I've been in the mood to write lately but I'm not complaining. hope y'all like the story!