Chapter 52, Sparks of Disappointment

Start from the beginning

Izumi has endured a fair share of sorrows as well. Her father was a non-Uchiha which was the reason her mother moved out of the Uchiha clan at first. When her father died protecting her during the Nine-Tail's attack, that's when her emotions manifested until she awakened her Sharingan.

I'd only been interested in befriending her when I found out that she'd unlocked her Sharingan way before I did, which sounds selfish. She'd sometimes be the reason I'd blush, like when she offered me dango on the bridge where...

So as I walk side by side with her I can't stop my mind from wondering whether I should've let her in on everything. Maybe I can open up to someone about what's happened.

No...

Last time I let someone in they ended up...dead...and empty...

I push that thought deep at the back of my mind and shiver as I listen to Izumi babble about Shisui's and Hana's relationship.

"Who would've even thought that it'd be Hana?", Izumi stated in disbelief, scoffing as she resumed, "I mean they do look cute together, but I just wonder how it all happened"

The next half and hour were spend with Izumi babbling about Shisui and Hana as I communicated back by nodding and making sounds that suggest that I agree with her. I'm too tired to do anything honestly.

"Itachi...", she suddenly says, making me arch a brow when she halted in her tracks. I halt as well and look over to her, where her expression had altered completely.

"Yes?"

Her expression suggested that she was contemplating to say something, but she says it regardless.

"Look Itachi", she steps closer as the rain pours over us, "I know you haven't been yourself for the past four years and I can totally understand, but..."

I hold my breath as the heaving rain pours mercilessly over us. She looks into my eyes with such intensity that I can't avoid her.

"I know you've had a liking to...Hanabi ever since our Academy days. I know there was something very vibrant about her that just intrigued you...and I get it, I-I completely do, but Itachi...", she lowers her voice a bit and for a split moment, all that was heard was the sole sound of the pounding rain upon us.

"Izumi...", I remain at loss of words as I think to myself: Am I  really that shallow to read?

"...Itachi, for the longest time I-I have thought about you—about us I mean and..."

I purse my lips together as a crease forms between my brows, in total anticipation of what I knew was coming.

"And I know that you've remained attached and that you're unable to let go—even after four years-"

"Izumi", I interrupt her mid-sentence, not wanting her to continue, I say, "Listen, for the longest time, I have and always been aware of how you feel towards me, believe me I do...if anything, I'm thankful for you and how you feel, believe me...but Izumi..."

The two of us instinctively lower our heads as we bite back our tongues. A chill howled past us, whisking away my dark locks as I get the courage to speak again.

"...I-I can't just like you just because Hanabi is gone now...", I force the words out my mouth, then hold my breath, awaiting her response.

Her eyes glistened a bit, the sparks of disappointment evident as she peers right back at me. When she was rendered speechless, I decide to take the leap and settle this once and for all.

"...Izumi...I don't want to hurt you in any way-"

"What are you talking about Itachi? You can never hurt me, you're nice and gentle. Just seeing you like this...", she chokes on her voice then lowered her head as her shoulders began to tremble".