•21•

"You're coming with me. I promise I'll protect you, no matter who I have to kill." For some reason when the word 'kill' left Mateo's mouth it send a shiver down my spine.

"You don't actually think you'll be safer with him do you, princess?"

■■■■

Y/n's POV:

After hearing that sentence both me and Mateo turned to our left to see Clyde leaning against a tree.

"I must say brother, you've hidden it extremely well." Clyde said, a small smirk making it's way onto his face.

"I don't know what you mean." Mateo replied, not tearing his gaze away from Clyde.

"What are they talking about?" I mumble to myself. Apparently my 'mumbled' question was loud enough for Clyde to hear.

"We're brothers Y/n. We used to share everything and there's one thing we still share." Clyde answered. "Would you like me to tell her brother, or should I?"

The only response he got from Mateo was silence.

"I'll do it then shall I." Clyde answered his own question with a sigh. "O-"

"OLD." Mateo interrupted Clyde.

"Huh?" I was confused as to what it meant. I was hoping that one of them would explain it.

"OLD, obsessive love disorder." Mateo answered in a low voice.

"It's a condition BOTH of us have. It simply means that when one of us falls in love we become possessive and obsessed with that person. In this case, that person is you, Y/n."

•••

"Daddy, look what I found!"

"That's wonderful, Mateo!" The older man praises the younger boy, who is around 8 years old, holding a rose towards his father's face.

"You know, one day you'll make a great king." Jaxson complimented his son, causing the young boy to give a bright smile in the direction of his father.

"Father! Mateo!" Both males turned around at the sound of the youngest princes voice.

"Clyde!" Mateo shouted running towards his younger brother and giving him a hug.

'Clyde's too much like his mother.'

Jaxson was never pleased to see his youngest son or his own wife. Some may say it was unfair to the 6-year-old. But others, mainly those who worked and lived in the castle completely understood the hatred the king had.

□□□

"Daddy! Look what I found!"

"It's a leaf, Clyde they're everywhere." Jaxson coldly replied to his son.

Clyde immediately lowered his head and walked further into the garden.

"What do you have there sweetheart?"

"It's not special. Dad says 'it's just a leaf'."

"So? A leaf may not look like much or just look dull and boring, but" the older female then takes the leaf from the younger male and holds it up towards the sun. "When you look closer, you'll see it has many stories." She continued, referring veins the leaf showed against the bright sun.

"So you like my leaf, mummy?"

"Of course I do sweetheart! It's beautiful!" The childs mother praised him.

"Daddy, look what I found!"

"Very good, Mateo!" Jaxson praised his oldest son, holding a similar leaf to the one that his youngest son had showed him moments ago.

•••

"You were always good at hiding it. That's what father loved you so much. He smiled whenever he saw you. Praised you no matter what you did.
Always made sure you had the best opportunities. Always made sure you never showed any signs of becoming like me. Becoming like mother. He never knew, because you were so good. Tell me, what was it like? Being adored by both mother and father? Being told every day 'you're going to be a great king' by our parents, guards, visitors and people within our kingdom.

I only had mother taking notice of things that I did. She even cheered me up when father knocked me down for showing him a leaf when I was six. That happiness was lived only for a moment. It was when you showed father a similar leaf to mine that I started to think 'am I not good enough? What's wrong with me? Why does my own father hate me so much but love you?' I spent years trying to figure it out. Now I finally know why.

I'm just like her.

I've figured it all out, he only loved and cared for you.

Both our mother and I were irrelevant when you were around.

He loved you,

He cared for you,

He praised you,

He felt pride when he looked at you

But not at me.

I used to blame her, you know.

I used to hate her so much just because I was like her.

But then I realised it's not a bad thing.

It's better to show who you are rather than fake it your whole life

Right, brother?"