Chapter 24

His eyes snap to me and I know that he is taken aback by my tone and me intervening.

" He is your son." I repeat, getting off the bed and instead, standing infront of him.

He notices this and thus, it causes his frown to deepen.

" Just like I did, he had longed desired for your return. He deserves acknowledgement as your son, not a stranger."

" Catherine -" I hold up my hand, silencing Ronan from interfering.

This is not the time for there to be tension between them. There are matters that can wait, right now, we need to focus on one thing, that papa has returned to us. We are reunited as a family.

" Catherine, I am still your father, remember that." My father says with a warning look.

" And papa, Ronan is my brother, I need not remind you this. We were alone for many years, we had to survive and the only one who I grew up in the presence of, is him."

I see my father's face fall because of my words.

" I don't mean to hurt your feelings papa but you need to know this. I won't pretend to not be here and watch you be this way towards him. This should be a time to rejoice, don't you wish to learn of the good that has happened to your children?"

He sighs, rubbing at his forehead.

" You are right. Every word you speak right now makes sense. I have just woken up and I bring tension with my actions.....I apologise." His eyes cast towards Ronan, who has been standing quietly behind me.

I step away from my father and give room for Ronan to make his way, to him. I watch with barely controlled emotion as a son walks towards his father, him trying to keep it together and not fall apart.

"Son." My father breathes out and that's when he loses it, Ronan falls to his knees and I see his shoulders shaking.

I choose not to intervene but give them a moment because Ronan needs this, more then ever. What he displays right now, is that he is actually very sensitive and our father's presence, has revealed this.

Despite the urge to stop my father from getting out of bed, I refrain from doing it and watch silently as he pushes the blanket off him and readjusts himself, where his legs hang off the bed. He leans over to rest his hand ontop of Ronan's head.

" I have been unfair towards you because of what I remember hearing you speak, about your sister. You are my first born, my heir and here I am, having treated you like a stranger. Forgive me son."

" Papa, I don't deserve your apology. I failed you papa." I can see the frown that makes its way onto our father's face. He's taken aback by Ronan's words.

" You are still standing. You took my place at such a young age, you had to grow up too fast and face the world head on, so don't let such words release from your mouth."

" Papa -"

" You both needed me, you needed my guidance and I was not there. So much time has passed and I still need to get my way around everything, things have changed I can see. Take note of one thing my dear children, I am back now."

His last words touch my heart the most and I feel like that little girl again.

Ronan's head picks up and he looks at my father, it only takes close to a minute before he rises to his feet and launches himself to my father. Seeing such an embrace warms my heart and I wish to capture it in a picture.

" I am back now son. Your papa is back." Our father repeats, needing Ronan to let the words to sink in.

" A long time might have passed but not once, did we not need you papa." I speak up after some time.