Chapter 40 John and Seraphina 3

*Time Skip, Kovoro Mall*

John and Seraphina had their talk

John and Seraphina had their talk. They go to the phone store.

"This is our newest model phone! Stores up to 256 GB memory, and has a UHD camera! Currently on sale for 20% off! This promotion only lasts till the end of the week!" the man says while pointing at the phone.

Seraphina and John check out the phone. Seraphina shows the phone to John.

"We should both get this." Seraphina says.

"..." "That's kind pricy...." John mumbles.

John and Seraphina buy the phone.

"That you very much! Hope to see you again!" the man says.

*Time Skip after John buys drinks and Seraphina finishes getting workout clothes*
"Got a surprising amount done today. Finally, a new phone. We should let Zane and Zari know." John says.

"Can't believe you hadn't replaced your old one yet. Trying to contact you was such a pain. Even Zane and Zari had trouble. Lex is a different story." Seraphina says.

"Okay, my bad. But I got it didn't I?" John asks.

Seraphina looks at something.

"...?" "Something wrong?" John asks.

"There. That's where this whole thing started. The ability gauge... Good thing he was captured and questioned by Zari and Otto. Too bad that he's gone. But I doubt he would have answers about my ability loss. If the effects are reversible?" Seraphina questions.

"..." John stays silent. He remembers the actions that occurred in the house. "It's a good thing they were captured during that day. Even though Lex got rid of one of them when he tried to escape." John shivers as he thinks about Lex killing one of the men.

"No point thinking about it. They were caught and that's all that matters. Even though questions were answered in the not so faithful way." Seraphina says.

"So authorities haven't gotten back to you, huh?" John asks.

"Nope, they keep telling me they're 'working on it'. Even Zane and Zari keep saying that Otto and Rosita are trying their best. They managed to break down the components of the liquid by eights. At least they are making progress. But the night of the incident is still fuzzy. All I remember was getting jumped by a bunch of mid-tiers." Seraphina says as she leans her head on the wall. "Lame. Even my old empowered self was barely able to escape." she groans

"Hey, it isn't you. The invaders had nothing special about them either. Sure there was a little struggle but we managed to outnumber them and have the element of surprised. Lex with his speed, Otto with those arms and Zane as a last resort." John says.

"....Against high-tiers, elite-tiers and cripples.... It makes you wonder what that machine does." Seraphina says.

"With the ability disabling drug on top of a power dampener, they would've escaped if it was only Arlo and Elanie there. The abilities would become irrelevant. Anyone could take down anyone... Well of course your Otto and Rosita. They proved to be unaffected by the power dampener with their arms." John says.

"I'm curious where they got this drug from. Something this groundbreaking couldn't have appeared overnight. To be able to develop something like this, they'd need a dedicated team of specialists. Not only that, they need test subjects, time... and an incredible amount of funding. LA HQ never encountered something like this. A small group of mid-tiers couldn't possibly pull this off. There must be someone powerful backing them." Seraphina states.

"Hm." John thinks. 'Hopefully Zane and the rest can trace it back to ZetaSci. What Seraphina said makes perfect sense.'

"To be honest.... you guys should've let them kidnap me. I'd probably have the answers by now." Seraphina mumbles the last part.

"Uhhhhhh! NO, WHAT THE FUCK? Don't joke like that. Zane and the others would've destroyed Wellston from the inside out just to save you." John states.

"Hm..." "Maybe I should speak with Remi. She could have noticed something we didn't." Seraphina says.

"It's worth a try." John says.

*Night John's Room*
John looks at the battery percentage after texting Seraphina. "Where did I put the charger?" John looks at the bag and takes out a black mask with two holes.

 "Where did I put the charger?" John looks at the bag and takes out a black mask with two holes

"Nice mask." Lex says.

John turns to see Lex leaning on the wall.

"Figured I sense your aura. Why are you here?" John asks.

Lex walks toward John. "Zane asked me if you gotten a phone yet."

"Oh yeah. I did. Me and Sera bought one earlier at the mall." John replies.

"I see. I'll need the numbers you know." Lex says.

"*sigh* Give me a minute." John says.

John takes out a paper and runs down the numbers. He gives the paper to Lex.

"Thanks. Let Seraphina know about this. Wouldn't want to hide anything from her as you already do." Lex says.

"So Zane and Zari told you about my past?" John asks.

"Yeah. You lost your friends and have little trust. Trust me, I done worse." Lex says.

"Like?" John asks.

"Letting someone I love die." Lex vibrates through the door.

John looks surprised. 'So that's why Zane and the rest were angry at him when he showed up. Must've been someone they knew.'