"2 on 2."

The drone rotom started doing some calculations and processing before it started the formal referee talk.

"This is an unofficial battle between Champion Ash and Elite Four Aaron. Each trainer will have the use of two pokemon. The rest of the rules are the same shit so, I won't bother to say it," it said casually in its automated voice, causing everyone to sweatdrop.

"Battle Begin."

"Alright, let's go Vespiquen," Aaron called out first as he threw a pokeball. The white light faded as a bee-like Pokémon materialised with yellow and black striped abdomen resembling an elegant ballroom gown.

'Hmm. Pikachu is back in my room, Samurott has just trained and Snorlax is sleeping,'Ash thought. He has called back almost all of his pokemon from the HQ. These pokemon were his underrated ones and he thought they could use some training too. With that thought, he took out a pokeball.

'It's been a while, but I know you will do great,' Ash thought with a smile as he threw the pokeball.

"Why would he choose that?" asked Max in wonder.

"He is at a big disadvantage here," analysed Cameron.

"Maybe, but you can't assume anything for now," said Flint with a smirk.

"Knowing Ash, he must have an ulterior motive," said Sawyer, smiling.

"Let's see how this turns out for him," Kiawe said with a serious frown.

"Yay, go Ash," cheered Korrina.

The Herb pokemon gave a soft cry and took a battle stance, eyeing its opponent.

"Don't know what you are thinking, but we are not holding back," said Aaron as he called out the first move.

"Vespiquen, use Bug Bite."

The Beehive Pokemon cried and dashed towards the fully evolved grass type starter of Johto.

"Wait," Ash said calmly as Meganium nodded.

When Vespiquen closed the distance enough, he gave his command.

"Grab and slam it with Vine Whip."

Just like a flash, The Herb Pokemon shot two vines from its body and stopped Vespiquen in its tracks completely. The Bug type was shocked and tried to break free before it found itself harshly slammed to the ground.

"Wow, fast," said Sawyer.

"Vespiquen, are you alright?" Aaron asked in worry.

The pokemon shook its head and went back up to its battle stance. It looked and at its trainer and cried.

"That's great. Now use Venoshock," Aaron called out the powerful poison type move.

Vespiquen threw a special poisonous liquid with a fast pace at Meganium. Aaron expected Ash to make a move or even tell it to dodge the super effective attack, but he was utterly surprised when the poison made direct contact with the grass type.

When the dust settled, Meganium appeared to be just fine, standing with a confident smile.

"What?!" Aaron exclaimed in shock.

"It didn't do a thing?" asked Flint with the same expression.

There was a faint white glow around the grass type's body, which didn't go unnoticed by Max. He adjusted his glasses and instantly figured out what happened.

"That's it. Meganium used Safeguard," he said, proud that he figured it out.

"Oh, so that's why the poison didn't do a thing," said Kiawe.