• | Chapter Twenty-Nine | •

Start from the beginning

"So, I'm going to go over to the kitchen, then I'll text you when I'm on the way, alright?" He laughed when she popped her head back into the camera. "You're really excited, huh?"

"Okay and yes." She giggled. "I'll see you later."

They exchanged goodbyes and ended the call. Riley continued packing as Mikaela Jackson's upbeat song resumed playing, then later double-checked to make sure she didn't leave anything she wanted or needed behind. Just as she changed into a cute yet cozy outfit and was slipping on her boots, her phone pinged.

Applehead ❤️😘

Down the street, baby.
11:27 PM

She bit the corner of her smiling lips before slipping her phone into her pocket and pulled the strap of her bag onto her shoulder. She turned off her lamp and TV, then left the room to find her father, James, lounging on the couch in the living room watching a show she was unfamiliar with. She couldn't recall when he ever arrived home tonight.

She stared at him for several seconds. It's been a long while before she ever saw any of her parents just relaxing for a change. But she knew it was only for a little while.

"Hey, Daddy?" She spoke and he looked up with a soft smile. "I'm going out to stay the night with Jay and Michelle. You don't mind, do you?"

He shook his head and answered, "Not at all. Have fun and be safe." His work cell suddenly rang and just as quickly, his attention was snatched away from his daughter and back into work mode.

Riley forced back her frown and quietly exhaled as she walked out into the cold after grabbing her house key. She wasn't lying when she said she could basically get away with anything. If Tristan were here, she would've been bombarded with questions and he would've poked every hole he could into whatever story she fabricated on the spot. He knew his little sister like the back of his hand, which meant trying to sneak out to see Michael would've been an ultimate fail.

Her mind eventually wandered away from her family and onto Michael when his car slowly pulled up in front of the driveway. She walked over to him just as he got out the car and they embraced, both basking in each other's aromatic scent and warmth against the cold air.

As Riley slowly pulled back, she suddenly let out a small squeal of excitement. "Aww, you're wearing your glasses!" She cupped his face in her gloved hands and he blushed profusely as he rolled his eyes with a bashful smile.

"It's not that serious, girl. It's just a pair of eyeglasses." He chuckled and she sucked her teeth at him.

"And? It makes you look so sexy and sophisticated at the same time. How come you weren't wearing them earlier?"

He shrugged his shoulders in a shy manner and nervously licked his lips. "I don't know, I told you I'm not really fond of these things."

Riley slightly narrowed her eyes and tilted her head as she studied him. She truly didn't understand why he deemed himself so unattractive. "I don't know why, you look really good in them."

"Thanks." Michael said softly after releasing a small, shy chuckle. "But it's complicated. I wouldn't be wearing them now if I could see, otherwise we might end up in a ditch somewhere."

"Don't beat yourself up, you look fine with them." She reassured with a soft smile. She pulled him down into a kiss before he could speak back and he quickly responded to her loving lips before slowly pulling away. "I missed you, by the way"

Those simple words made him grin as he said, "I missed you, too." His hands brushed over the leather fabric of her gloves and he took one hand to lead her over to the passenger side to open the door for her. He put her bag in the trunk before eventually getting back in the car.