Prologue

Four years ago...

"Come on, Blake! Just this once!" I huffed in frustration, watching his thick eyebrows furrow. Forest green eyes -much like my own- squinted intently at the screen as long fingers moved angrily across the surface of the game console, successfully blocking my insistent whining.

"I'll do your dishes for a week!" The aggressive moans of pain from whatever creature he had killed offered as my only response.

Blake possessed an art I was immensely jealous of. It was like he could put up a wall in his head, ignore everything else and simply exist on his own. Just like now, he had placed up the wall and I was failing miserably at climbing over it.

"If you don't take me, I'll have no social life and I'll just have to follow you everywhere." I was grasping at every straw I could, even though I knew he had probably forgotten I was in the room.

Groaning in utter frustration, I stomped my feet on the ground. The movement causing my short, light brown curls to bounce around my shoulders. My frustration at the situation was palpable, the taint of red splashed against my cheeks displaying my anger toward it.

I charged inside the room, where his lanky figure splayed haphazardly across the bed. In a fit of hot rage, I swiftly grabbed the console before darting towards the door. A victorious smile lifting to my face.

Something heavy suddenly collided with my back, resulting in me losing my footing and falling to the hard ground, head first. The collision bringing my rain of victory to an abrupt halt. Still in a daze, I barely registered Blake snatching back the controller before seating on my back, immediately restricting my breathing.

"Get off me you fat ass!" I whizzed.

"I am not fat, this is pure muscle." He made a show of flexing his slightly muscular arm, resonating a gag from me. I squirmed, trying to get out from underneath him to no avail. My breathing had become laboured, his weight straining me, when my mother finally appeared at the threshold.

"Blake, get off your sister now!" A displeased frown littered her full lips as shallow wrinkles appeared on the space between her eyebrows. Her tired blue eyes met his green one's in a challenging manner, effectively raising a single brow.

Blake immediately scrambled to get off me, knowing well not to try and challenge her. I drugged in a lungful of air at the loss of his weight on my back, standing up while dusting myself before passing him a smug smile. He responded by poking his tongue out childishly, always the sore loser.

The loud clearing of my mother's throat brought our small banter to yet another halt.

"Blake, just take Savannah to the sleepover. She's never asked you to drive her anywhere before." our mother's voice held a daring tone to it, clearly leaving no room for arguments. She folded her arms across her chest, hardening her stance when he made a move to argue.

Blake sighed loudly, his broad shoulders dropping exaggeratedly as if he had just been subjected to an unimaginable punishment. His almond-shaped eyes glared daggers at the side of my face, clearly unhappy. It was my turn now to openly poke my tongue out at him, portraying my obvious victory.

"Thanks mum! You're the best!" I squealed, wrapping myself around her scrub clad body. She released a chuckle while wrapping her frail arms around me, hunching slightly at my weight.

I excitedly made my way to the baby pink room besides Blake's, a skip to my steps. On the small bed -pushed against the wall- a large bright red bag sat, clashing with my white sheets.

I had been invited to my classmate's birthday sleepover yesterday, and my excitement could not be contained. I was up until the early hours of the morning, bouncing around my room whilst I conjured all the fun activities we could indulge in. It would have been my first sleepover and in my young mind, I had built up a magical night of blissful fun.