7- Detective

Sofia's P.O.V.

Pulling into the parking garage at the hospital I got out of my car and was heading for the hospital doors, when I heard my name.

I looked over and saw a man, leaning up against a car. He was good looking, around my age and dressed nice.

"Can I help you?"

"Actually, you can. My name's Detective José Romero, I need to talk to you."

"Ummm, I'm actually in a hurry. I'm on call and was called into work. What's this about?"

"Your father."

"Excuse me? I don't-"

"Yes, you do. I know who you are, I need help and you're exactly the person that can get it for me."

"How can I help you?"

"I know all about Tony."

My eyes widened and I'm sure my mouth hit the floor. 'Him'.... The ex that ruined my life.

"What are you talking about?" I whispered.

Not only have I not spoken his name, I have tried to put everything that happened that night so far back in my mind.

"I know your father killed Tony. I have evidence and proof that will put him away for life if you don't help me."

"I don't believe you." I challenged.

"I figured you wouldn't." He walked closer handing me a folder.

I took the folder out of his hands. Opening it up he was right. There were pictures taken from that night, making my skin crawl at the memory.

"What are these tapes?" I asked.

"Audio, of the night."

I couldn't breath, I have done so much to forget that night and now this man was threatening the person that helped me through the worst night of my life.

"How am I supposed to help you?"

"I want to take down Derek Ryne." He said, coldly.

"What? Why?"

"Details aren't important. Right now you have a decision to make. Save your father or help me take down Derek."

"I'm not even close with Derek." I lied, I was getting closer every time I was with him.

"Don't lie to me. I know you saved his life and have been going over there to help get him back on his feet. Fortunately for me, you walked right into this."

I was silent, I didn't know what to say.

"So, you'll help me?"

"What am I supposed to do exactly?"

"You will stay close with Derek, get into his lifestyle and get me information. Anything that can help me take him down."

"I can't do that."

"Then your father will go to prison."

I looked at him, "Why not arrest my dad for this? You clearly have enough evidence to take him down for that night, why wouldn't you?"

"He's not the one I want. Killing Tony was a blessing, and he deserved what happened to him. That won't stop me from also taking your dad down if you won't help me."

"Fine, but you have to promise me you won't go after my dad after this, it will be done and all that evidence will be destroyed."

"Promise, as long as I get what I want. Do we have a deal"

I nodded my head, what the hell was I getting into?

"You can keep that folder, as a reminder with what's at stake let's say. The only other thing I ask is no one, and I mean no one; not even your cousin Nico can know about this. It will be our little secret."

He turned around to walk away. I was shaking and trying to breath.

"I'll be in touch Sofia."

********
Work dragged on, my mind was not at work today. I was sick to my stomach and I felt like this José was stepping on my throat.

What am I going to do?

I loved Dad, if it wasn't for him I'd be dead right now, but I was having feelings for Derek. Feelings that I didn't know I'd feel again.

"Hey are you okay?"

I jumped at my boss's voice.

"What?"

He put his hand on my shoulder, "Are you okay? You seem distant tonight."

"Actually, I'm not feeling the best."

He touches my forehead. "You don't have a fever, but you look really pale."

I looked in the mirror, I did look like shit. "I have a headache." I lied, I was actually just scared out of my mind.

"Why don't you go home? Rest for a few days before your next shift."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, hopefully it's nothing but you definitely need to rest. Text me tomorrow and let me know how you're feeling."

"Thanks boss."

Packing up my things I headed out. I was scared to go back into the parking garage alone.

I opened the door slightly, Josés car was gone so I was able to breathe a little bit.

I got in my car and took off. I went to the one place in the city I was alone and felt at peace. Pulling into another parking garage I headed up to the top. I got out of my car and took the stairs to the roof.

Looking over the edge I looked at the city. Taking deep breaths in and out.

I was going over all my options in my head. None of them were good. If I went to my dad, José would arrest my dad for sure. If I told Nico, the only other person I really trusted would José send Nico back to prison?

What a fucking mess!

My phone pinged with a message...

Unknown - Hey! How's it going, Doc?

This made me smile.

Me - Who is this?

Unknown - Ouch!

Me - I'm teasing! I'm good, you?

Derek - Good, I like the name you programmed into my phone. Doc 😉

I was still smiling.

Me - Well you always call me that. Seemed appropriate :)

Derek - Absolutely! Are you still at work?

Me - No, I left a little bit ago. I'm actually sitting in my favorite spot in New York before I head home and go to bed.

Derek - Okay, I'll let you go. I just wanted to say goodnight before I went to bed.

Me - Good night, Derek

Derek - Good night, Doc ❤️

How was I going to betray this man?