Chapter 31 - In A Different Life

Start from the beginning

"I never showed Blaise that Slytherins can be good, and that means he never developed a crush on me. Millicent had no reason to talk to me, and we never became friends," Rowan whispered as she slowly began to put the pieces together.

Suddenly, the memory had changed again. This time, Rowan didn't recognize a thing,

───── ❝In A Different Life ❞ ─────

"Juniper, I cannot help you if you don't pay attention! Look, right there!" Rowan yelled at Juniper, who was looking at a potions textbook as if it were going to be any clearer the longer she stared. Rowan looked around and noticed that she had a prefect badge pinned to her robes.

"I'm a Slytherin prefect! I'm a badass in this reality," Rowan blurted, causing Severus to chuckle slightly. Severus looked around and noticed that they were in the potion's classroom, yet he was nowhere to be found. He found this strange as he practically lived in his classroom during Rowan's years as a student.

"I can't get it! Can't you do it for me? You're a seventh-year and you're much better at potions," Juniper pleaded and Rowan's face twisted in disgust. "I see why Severus calls you all insolent children," Rowan hissed as she rolled her eyes and slammed her hand down on the potions textbook. "Read it again," She commanded, causing Juniper to groan in annoyance.

"I called you Severus in my seventh year?" Rowan inquired, looking up at Severus who still seemed puzzled about his whereabouts. "I told you how I felt about the students in your seventh year?" Severus asked in response, which puzzled them both.

"Insolent children. The whole school thinks that perfect Potter has petrified Filch's wretched cat," An angry Severus shouted as he entered his classroom, slamming the door. "What happened?" Rowan asked, turning her attention away from a studying Juniper. "According to the writing on the wall, a chamber has been opened. Enemies of the Heir, beware," Severus answered as he slowly traced his fingers around Rowan's collar bone.

"Woah, we were together when I was a student!" Rowan gasped loudly. Severus didn't respond, he was too busy watching in horror as his younger self spoke so calmly about the chamber of secrets. It was as he had feared, the dark lord was alive in this reality.

"Enemies of the Heir? Like, the heir of Slytherin?" Juniper piped up, causing both Severus and Rowan to glare at her. Juniper cringed and quickly returned to her potions book. "You are dismissed, Montgomery. I'm sure Potter will fill you in on the drama of Hogwarts," Severus seethed and Juniper jumped to her feet and quickly exited the classroom.

"The dark lord was the Heir of Slytherin," Severus muttered as he moved closer to Rowan. The world began to spin again, and they were once again spinning into a different memory.

───── ❝In A Different Life ❞ ─────

"Juniper, please. I know I was mean to you, but you can't let Potter find out," Rowan begged as she held out her left forearm, uncloaked for the first time in years. Branded upon her skin, lay the dark mark. It seemed to be illuminated by the light coming into the astronomy tower.

"No!" Severus cried out, lunging for the different version of Rowan's forearm. His hand went straight through, and he turned back to Rowan, his face looking absolutely horrified. In a panicked state, Severus walked back to his own Rowan and yanked up her sleeve, and kissed her bare forearm gently. "I'm okay," Rowan whispered as she took ahold of Severus' arm and placed it around her own torso.

"How could you, Rowan? First, you break up with him because he wouldn't date you. Then, you become Professor Lupin's assistant to get back at him and when that didn't work, what did you do? Become a bloody death eater?!" Juniper yelled loudly, seeming to make the empty walls of the astronomy tower tremble. "Keep your voice down!" Rowan yelled, looking downright terrified.