Chapter 2: Train Conversation

Start from the beginning

"Niall, what the hell are you doing?" I asked. He laughed a bit then continued strumming some more chords, cradling the gutair gently in his arms.

"I want to hear you sing!" He cheered.

"We are on a train at like 3:30 in the morning, I don't think so."

"Then you won't survive in the music business. How long do you think you'll spend in recording booths some nights?" He asked with a stupid smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes.

"What songs do you know?" I sighed. He started strumming the chords to an Adele song I knew all too well. It was Daydreamer, one of my personal favorites. "I never would've thought you would know this song!"

"I play it for practice, you are a big Adele fan I presume?"

"One of her biggest! I had both of her albums on my phone." I say, then it comes to the vocals. I take a breath and begin singing the lyrics. "Daydreamer, sittin' on the sea, soaking up the sun. He is a real lover, of making up the past and feelin' up his girl like he never felt a figure before. A jaw dropper, looks good when he walks, is the subject of their talks, he would be hard to chase, but good to catch and he could change the world with his hands behind his back, ohhh...you can find him, sittin' on your doorstep. Waitin' for a surprise. It will feel like he's been there for hours. And you can tell that he'll be there, for life." I sang, but he stopped right after I was done. I looked up at him and I noticed the shock glazing his face. "What?" I asked.

"Oh my fucking god...you are amazing." He says to me, and I can feel my cheeks growing a bright pink. Amazing? Good maybe, but not amazing.

"R-really? I mean, I always knew I was good, but never amazing."

"Evie, you just gave me chills. You really have a great voice." He said with a smile. I giggled and looked down. What was I thinking? This was Niall Horan, and I was a little no one who had too big dreams for a small town. Did I loose my sanity when I left home? I must have since I thought that this boy and I could ever have a relationship outside of this train car. We had about forty more minutes on the train until we reached the city, and he would go back to the life of a teenage dream, and I would just be starting my new life. The moment when I would have to go into the real world, away from a great chance like this, would most likely be the death of me.

"Thanks. I mean, I can't play guitar, and it would probably help if I could." I giggled. He laughed a little, then continued to strum the strings of the guitar gently as he did before, but playing an unfamiliar tune.

"So, where are you staying in the city?" He asked. Shit, I didn't even think of that. A hotel? No, because then I could kiss my food goodbye, and that would never end well considering I kind of needed that to live. I had absolutely zero relatives and friends in New York, so what was the plan all along? Did I even have a plan?

"Um...w-well..." I started, but he cut in after a long silence.

"You...don't have a place to stay, do you?" He asked. I bit my lip and swallowed hard. Slowly, I shook my head and a tear slipped from my closed eyes. The voice that I had forgotten about a long while ago was coming back. Only you could fuck this up...why are you so stupid?! Why do you have to be such a looser?! The voice of my father screamed in my head. I really was a looser, just like he had said. My father was always yelling at me to give up music and get a real job. Go to college, and not be the looser he always believed me to be, but I followed my mothers advice, and did what I loved. I knew that running away was right, but even still, I found a way to fuck it up.

"No, no don't cry, hey," Niall said, tilting my head up by the chin. He drew his thumb across my cheek, wiping away the one tear that was rolling down my cheek. "No need to cry. You can stay at the hotel with the boys and I until you find a place."

"I-I don't want to impose on you guys." Said I in what came out as a whisper.

"You aren't if I invite you. C'mon, it will just be for one night." He pleaded. "It's the least I could do for a friend."

"So, I'm considered a friend now?" I giggled. He laughed a bit, then smiled.'

"Eh, I don't think so. Not yet at least. I would say you are...a friendly acquaintance." He chuckled. I laughed along then let out a roaring yawn. I had only slept for two hours before leaving home, and I could feel that energy wearing off. "Hey, you need to sleep? You can rest on my shoulder until we get to New York." He offered, positioning the guitar at a different angle and making his shoulder completely available for my head to occupy.

"Thanks...Niall?" I asked as I layed my head gently on his shoulder. His aroma of old spice filled my nose and suddenly I felt all warm inside.

"Yes?"

"When we reach New York...will we still talk?" There was a long silence until he started strumming the chords to Little Things and let out a tiny laugh.

"I know we will."

And that's when I drifted off into a peaceful sleep.