THE TRUTH

"areum...there's something you should know about my dad," I sighed. she looked at me with doe eyes, waiting for me to continue.

"not only was he strict but....he..he used to hit me..."

her mouth parted and her face softened. "my dad abused me..." I added.

"namjoon..."

"he's pretty much the reason why we stopped being friends...I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to hide it from you so...I ended the friendship," I pursed my lips.

"I'm so sorry." I covered my face with my hands.

"no, namjoon," she wrapped her tiny arms around me, hugging me like I hugged her. "there is nothing to be sorry about...it isn't your fault..."

"but I sometimes felt like it was..." I cried.

"no. it wasn't. you couldn't control how your dad acted towards you...I am so sorry that you had to go through that alone..." she said softly.

she stroked her fingers through my hair as I cried into the fabric of her clothing.

I sighed, "I couldn't take it anymore...I was sick of him treating me like that and I needed to start a new life of my own...and so did my mother, that's why she divorced him."

"has he called you?"

I nodded, "a few times...but I haven't answered..."

she cupped my cheeks, raising my head up so I could look at her, "namjoon, you did a very brave thing. I understand why you didn't tell me...but I really wish you did..."

her thumb ran over the scab forming on my lip, "this is from him?"

I nodded my head, rolling up the sleeves of my shirt, "and so are these..."

she gasped lightly at the bruises on my arms. tears formed in her eyes before she threw her arms over my shoulders, hugging me tighter.

I placed a hand on her back, bringing her closer. I needed this. this was the hug I needed all these years. the reassurance that everything was going to be okay.

"hey, we both got out..." I whispered.

she laughed against my shoulder, "yeah...we did..."