18

"here." he handed her half of his sandwich, giving her the bigger half.

she smiled, "thank you."

they sat on the thick branch of a tree. the tall grass blowing in the wind underneath them as they watched the sunset.

"can you believe we're going to start high school soon?" she asked.

"nope. soon enough, we'll be graduating and going to college."

"ugh," she groaned. "college! I don't even want to think about college."

"if you were in college right now, what would you be doing?" namjoon asked.

areum hummed, "probably with my parents to find a husband."

namjoon laughed, "you're serious?"

"they always talk about it. 'areum you're going to get married when you're older' or 'when you come of age we're going to find you a husband in no time'. it's exhausting..."

"is that what you want? a husband?" he asked.

"no. because then I'll have to kiss him," they broke out into laughter.

"tell me namjoon would you ever want to kiss a girl?" she asked. namjoon's face began to turn red, he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I-I don't know, maybe some time in the future." he shrugged.

areum pursed her lips, "let's practice."

"what?" he shouted.

she laughed, "let's practice. we have to prepare ourselves for the future. we have to learn how to kiss right."

areum turned her body to face namjoon. his ears began to get hot as she moved closer to him.

"areum! you can't be serious-"

"we're best friends aren't we? come on."

namjoon heaved a deep sigh as he turned his body to her, now they were face to face.

"I-I-I'm nervous, I don't know what to do..." he said.

"don't worry me too. I've watched a lot of movies so I think I know what to do," she chewed on her bottom lip.

"okay, close your eyes." she said.

"areum-"

"I said close them."

namjoon sighed, shutting his eyes. their hearts began to quicken. areum wiped her forehead, taking a deep breath.

"okay, I'm gonna count."

"1," with every number she counted, the closer she moved to him. "2...3!"

she planted her lips onto his, leaving them there for a few seconds before pulling away quickly.

namjoon's eyes shot open, redness coating his entire face as they stared at each other.

"now we know how to kiss!" she exclaimed.

namjoon laughed, covering his face.

it soon began to get darker, they walked beside each other, their bikes on the opposite side.

"areum-ah," namjoon said. "would that be considered our first kiss?"

areum pursed her lips, nodding her head slowly, "yeah, I guess we could consider that our first kiss."

she gave him a smile before waving goodbye. "wait, areum!" namjoon called before she began to pedal.

she stopped and looked at him, waiting for him to say something.

"when we get older...do you think you would marry me?" he asked. his nervousness concealed by the innocence in his tone.

areum smiled, "yeah, I guess so. see you tomorrow."

namjoon broke out into a bright smile as he watched her ride away. feeling his heart do flips in his chest.

although areum didn't realize her feelings, namjoon did.

and it was the exact moment he had fallen in love with her.