24

"namjoon-ah!" areum exclaimed from across the schoolyard.

namjoon gulped, pulling his sleeve over the marks his father had left on his arm and walking faster.

"namjoon wait for me!" areum chased after him.

namjoon didn't want to turn around, he didn't want to hurt her feelings.

she giggled as she began to walk beside him, "you have long legs remember? I can't keep up!"

her smile began to fade as she noticed he didn't spare a glance, or even a smile. the smile she enjoyed seeing.

"joonie? are you okay?" she asked.

he didn't answer her. his grip on the straps of his backpack tightened. he hands began to sweat from the fear and hurt he was going to feel.

"namjoon did I do something wrong? why aren't you talking-"

"areum," he sighed. he stopped in his tracks and shut his eyes closed as he faced her. "please...leave me alone..."

"w-what?" she blinked.

namjoon opened his eyes, only to be met by hers. she was staring at him, confused, and he could see the hurt rising in her eyes.

he wanted to cry.

he wanted to tell her everything because she was his only friend. and he hated lying, especially to areum.

"we...we can't be friends anymore. I'm sorry." he started to walk away until she grabbed his arm.

"y-you can't! you're my best friend namjoon. please tell me what I did wrong and I'll do better-"

"areum, just...I have to go. don't talk to me anymore."

her grip loosened and she let him walk away. her heart slowly began to break apart as she watched him walk.

namjoon chewed on his upper lip to stop himself from crying.

areum ran to the girl's bathroom and namjoon ran to the boy's bathroom.

they both sat in a stall and began to cry.

I'll never get to tell her I love her.

I'll never get to tell him I love him.