"It's just me, Raine," he reassures me.

"But-but you're dead," I stutter.

"I know, and guess who's fault it is?" he asks as though this is a twisted trivia game. His mouth turns up into a smile like the Cheshire cat's. Blood leaks from my friends nose as he inches towards me. A storm brews on the horizon of the sunny sky.

"You could've tried,"he says disapprovingly. He shakes his head like he's scolding a child.

"I did, I swear!" I cry.

"Not hard enough," he says in a judgemental way. He advances towards me, causing me to back up. I lose my grip and begin to fall backwards. Riley's shape becomes smaller and smaller against the pale blue sky. Just as I'm about to impact with what sounds like a busy street I spring out of my dream. Thunder shakes the ground, light fixtures swinging with the jolts. I bolt up in my bed, sweat beads rolling down my back. Griffith continues to shake my shoulder and I shoot him a confused sleepy look.

"I could hear you screaming from the next room over", he tells me.

"Oh", I say quietly. He throws the covers back and shimmies his way onto the miniature cot of mine which forces us to snuggle closer together. He kisses my forehead and his soft thumb soothingly caresses my upper arm.

"What were you dreaming about?" he inquires. I contemplate telling him and he shifts his weight, pondering his question.

"if you don't want to tell-" he begins to apologize.

"Riley, I was dreaming about... Riley," I manage tow whisper. saying his name is a weird feeling. It's as though he could come strolling through my door at any minute and give Griffith an envious stare while plopping down on the end of my bed.

"I see you got here first," he would've said. Griffith would've uncomfortably nodded.

"She still loves me more," he would have joked, and I'd have laughed. I'd have laughed until the pain would've slowly disintegrated. I let the scene okay in my head continuously and it soothes the uncontrollable thoughts. Tears roll down my cheeks as Griffith hushes my slight whimpers.

--------------------------

I prepare the aromatic feast for the new comers with my mother, chopping away at water-rich leaks. The vinyl record player plays Louis Armstrong like soft background music to my thoughts.

"So, what do you think about Wallace?" my mother inquires. I give her a cautious side glance.

"I'm not quite sure, why?" I shoot back.

"I just feel like he and Natasha are a little close, that's all," she admits.

"Ya," I swallow my guilt. My mothers nimble hands slide the raw potato wedges into the scorching water.

--------

It's been two fast paced weeks since our bustling society has settled in. Griffith rebuilt our original camera system in minimal time. Everyone works to earn their meals and their basic supplies. Wether someone is a cook or a soldier, we all do our part. I exchange amicable smiles with everyone, making my way to the cleaning staff with my wooden dirty laundry basket. The concrete hallways are harshly lit yet they've never been more welcoming. Laughter echoes throughout the building and there's the occasional glorious cry of newborn babies. I turn into the room filled with the whirring sound of washers and dryers. My combat boot scrape against the grainy cement as I make my way towards Lyla. I hand the deaf women the putrid smelling basket which she gratefully takes. I shoot her a smile to show my appreciation and make my way towards my first class of prodigy's. I'm bringing the kids to the shooting range again today, they're not ready for the real world just yet. There are a maximum of three twelve year old children per class so I don't have my hands full keeping my eye on too many kids. I enter the class room to find Jess and Lacey teasing Robert.

"Ha!" Jess laughs in Roberts face and Lacey snickers. The little boy glares daggers at his two bullies and attempts reaching for his gun which Jess dangles above him. I swipe the gun from the Jess's hands which grants me the pleasure of seeing a confused look form on his face.

"Huh?" Jess asks, not quite sure how the gun vanished out of his hands.

"Looking for something?",I ask jokingly. I lift myself onto one of the desks and display the gun.

"Humph," Jess lets out a defeated noise. I hand the weapon back to Robert whom slips it into his pocket.

"They are not toys, they are lethal weapons! If I catch one of you playing like that again, there will be consequences!" I warn them in a stern voice. Lacey attempts hiding her face with her frizzy brown hair and Jess gulps down his fear . They both nod rapidly.

"Good, now lets get started," I say, rubbing my hands together.