The Queen's forgiveness

Click. Click. Click.

The sound of high heels echoed around the empty halls of the palace as the young queen walked around. She had just finished her Christmas meal with the prince and was now in search of her best friend.

"Are you going to her Marinette?" asked Tikki.
"I am... James has made me realise that I am in the wrong. It was stupid. I should've explained to her what happened.." said Marinette with a sad sigh.
"I'm sure she'll appreciate this," said Tikki with a smile.
"I hope so. I don't know what will happen if she doesn't," said Marinette sadly, as she tucked the object into the pocket of her cardigan.

She arrived at Alya's bedroom door and knocked on it. The door swung open and Alya was revealed. Her makeup was smudged from crying but the look in her eyes was pure hate.

"What?" asked Alya, folding her arms.
"I.. can we talk please? Privately?" asked Marinette, looking down at the floor sheepishly. Alya rolled her eyes before opening the door wider for Marinette to step in.

Alya shut the door behind Marinette and sat down on her bed. Marinette remained standing.
"I.. I honestly don't know where to start Alya. Okay, here goes. I am so sorry. I was so caught up in what was going on with me that I wasn't there to stop and make sure you were okay. I was acting so selfish and just left you behind because I was scared that being near Adrien would only hurt me. I forgot that you're my best friend and that you're feeling exactly what I'm feeling. I forgot to put your needs before mine. And I am so sorry," said Marinette, crying at the end of it.
"That's not what I was angry about," said Alya, letting out a frustrated sigh.

Alya stood up and held Marinette's hand. She gave it a gentle squeeze.
"I was angry not because you put yourself before me. Sometimes you have to do that. I was angry because you didn't let me in and help you. You just took off without warning. You left me behind so I couldn't help you," explained Alya.

She put her hands on Marinette's shoulders and pulled her into a hug as Marinette cried on her shoulder.

"Why did you leave us?" asked Alya.
"I had a vision.. it was Lila," explained Marinette through her tears.
"And?"
"She said I would put Adrien through more pain and hurt than he has been in so far," whispered Marinette, trying to calm herself down.
"We won't let that happen. But next time, let us help you," said Alya through soft whispers.

They remained in each other's embrace for a few more moments before they separated.
"I wanted to give you something.. a promise to always let you in," said Marinette, putting her hand in her pocket. "Well.. it's a reminder for me. I'm giving you this because I can trust you. So I need to trust you with things when I want to.. shut you out again."

She pulled out a miraculous box and held it out to Alya.
"Marinette.. no," said Alya, a slight gasp caught in her voice.
"Alya Cesaire. This is the fox miraculous which grants you the power of illusion. I am trusting you with this to remind me I can trust you," explained Marinette, putting on a smile.

Alya took the box and slid her thumb across the lid.
"Trixx is in this?" asked Alya with a happy smile. Marinette nodded. Alya opened the lid and watched the orange orb of light circle her before fading into the fox kwami.

"Alya? Is that you? After all these years?" asked Trixx. Alya chuckled before holding out her hand for Trixx.
"Thank you Marinette!" cried Alya as she put on the necklace.
"Of course. I am sorry again," said Marinette with a nod as she turned around to not show Alya her tears again.
"Marinette, I forgive you. Just promise to let me in," said Alya with a sigh. Marinette quickly nodded before leaving the room.

She walked down the halls and made it to her room before she collapsed to her knees. She sobbed for a while.
"Marinette? What's wrong?" asked Tikki.
"I hurt my best friend," she said through her cries.
"But she forgave you," protested Tikki.
"It'll take me a while for the forgiveness to settle in," whimpered Marinette as she hugged her knees.